A new barque ORPHAN BOY recently completed at Black River, and of which mention was made some time since in the Cleveland herald and copied in the Register, came into this port on Saturday last and is now lying at the warehouse of the S.D. & C. Railroad. She will take on a cargo of wheat today, her first cargo, for her first trip. The ORPHAN BOY was built by Capt. Jones of Black River, for her principal proprioter, Capt. Henry Kelly of Milan, and is just as good, staunch, well built and fine a craft as there is afloat on the lakes. Her keel was laid about the 1st of May last, and no pains or expense have been spared on the part of the owners anc contractors to have everything done well, from that time to her final completion. Capt. Hugh Morrison, who for 9 years past has been on the upper lakes trade, is in command. She is 490 tons burthen, with a capacity of 22,000 bushels of wheat.
We are not up in nautical literature, or we would attempt a description; yet after all, it would only amount, with the addition of a few figures and facts, to words of praise, as the ORPHAN BOY just fills our eyes as a most capital vessel in every respect. From stem to stern, and from top to bottom, nothing calculated to add to strength, safety and convenience has been neglected.
Sandusky Commercial Register
September 1, 1862 3-1
VESSELS BUILT AND BUILDING AT BLACK RIVER, O. -- Three-masted schooner Wm. JONES, 513 tons, for J. A. Redington & Co., Cleveland.
Scow MONITOR, 89 tons, for Lafrinier & Hutchinson, Cleveland.
There are four vessels building. One by Wm. Jones of 480 tons, for H. Kelley, Milan. One of 200 tons for Mr. Allen, Black River. One by G. W. Jones of 400 tons and another of 150 tons.
Buffalo Daily Courier
Wednesday, June 4, 1862 (condensed)