Six revenue cutters, built for the government, at Milan, are now in this port, to be laid up for the winter. They were towed around from the mouth of Huron River, on Saturday, by the steamer ISLAND QUEEN.
These cutters are put together in a manner the most substantial of any vessel ever built on the lakes. The woods used are exclusively oak and Long Island Locust, joined with bolts and bars of iron in a way which would seem to render them impregnable to almost any assault of storm or other disaster. They are of about 60 tons burthen each, uniformly built, or nearly so, and are named after the members of the present national cabinet, respectively, except the Secretary of State, viz.: HOWELL COBB; ISAAC TOUCEY; JOHN B. FLOYD; JACOB THOMPSON; AERON V. BROWN, and JEREMIAH S. BLACK. A cutter already in service on the Atlantic coast bears the name of LEWIS CASS, hence the omission in the present christening. Each one is furnished with two of Francis' patent metallic life boats.
The contractors for the cutters were Messrs. Merry & Gay, Milan, the work on them being performed under the immediate superintendence of Capt. Wm. O. Pease, of the Revenue Service. The price paid for them was $6,500 each. Their general outfit -- cabin furniture, charts, compasses, &c., was supplied for the government by Messrs. Wm. A. Freeborn & Co., New York. When thoroughly fitted and put in order, no better vessels, in proportion to the size, can be found in the service. Capt. Pease pronounces them "strong as wood and iron can make them," and their beauty and capacity for sailing will certainly equal their strength.
It is expected that officers will be detailed to each in the course of a few days, and at the opening of navigation in the spring the vessels will be assigned to their respective stations along the lakes. -- Sandusky Register.
Buffalo Daily Republic
Thursday, September 17, 1857