The Proprietors propose laying off a town at the mouth of Swan Creek, at the head of the Miami Bay of lake Erie, to be called PORT LAWRENCE. One half of the lots will be offered for sales --selling 1 and 2 --reserving 3 and 4, and in the same order progressively--on the 20th day of September 1817, at the foot of the Rapids, where, at the same time, the Commissioners of the General Government will be in treaty with the Indians for the purchase of their land claims within the limits of the state of Ohio.
The plan of the town will be liberal, and adapted to commercial purposes, with lots fronting on the Bay and on Swan creek. A square for military purposes, and ground near the town suitable for a place of burial.
The site [sic] is elevated, and from the many natural advantages it possesses, seems to have been designed for the great Depot of the Northwest. A capacious Bay, forming by a Island at its mouth, a secure harbor for almost the whole extent --Swam creek having a channel 17 feet deep at its mouth, and 14 feet three fourths of a mile from its entrance into the Bay, with banks peculiarly adapted to commercial convenience. On the west side of Swam creek is a beautiful deep Basin, running up three fourths of a mile from its entrance into the Bay, with banks peculiarly adapted to commercial convenience. On the west side of Swan creek is a beautiful deep Basin, running up three fourths of a mile, and separated form the Miami by a neck of land 10 or 12 poles in width, around which the river forms a semicircle, the lower end joining the bay, forming a complete and perfectly safe harbor for shipping at all seasons of the year. From the town is presented a most interesting view of lake Erie. ...