A new three-masted schooner called the THOMAS P. SHELDON arrived here for the first time on Saturday morning, with a cargo of 47,206 bushels of corn. This vessel was built at East Saginaw last spring and summer by Wm. Croswaithe, for John Kelderhouse, of this city. She is one of the finest modeled vessels we have seen. She is built of the very best white oak, and thoroughly fastened throughout, her keelsons showing immense strength being 6 in number and running the entire length of the vessel. Her dimensions are as follows: Length 200 ft., breadth of beam, 33 1/2 ft., and depth of hold 13 1/2 ft. She has a commodius and comfortable cabin for her officers and a forecastle on deck forward for the crew. Her rigging is of the best galvanized wire, which together with her entire outfit, except the blocks, was furnished by Locke, Austin & Sparks ship chandler of this city. Her blocks which are all patent iron strapped, were made by Hawley Kline of Buffalo. Capt. Charles Gilbert, an able and experienced navigator, commands her, and we think he should fell proud of his vessel.
Buffalo Commercial Advertiser
September 11, 1871 3-5
Schooner THOMAS P. SHELDON. U.S. No. 24871. Of 669.46 tons gross; 635.99 tons net. Built 1871 at East Saginaw, Mich. Home port, Cleveland, Ohio. 194.0 x 33.0 x 12.0
Merchant Vessel List, U.S., 1886