One little-known story is that of the Lake Erie "turncoat tugboat," UNCLE BEN. For the first four years of her life, she led a normal existence engaged in towing in and around Buffalo, N.Y. She had been built at Buffalo in 1856 by Bidwell and Banta, for Jacob W. Banta, Benjamin and Vincent Bidwell, and Sidney Shepard, all of Bufralo (Permanent Enrollment #199, Buffalo, October hi, 1856). She was registered as being 95 feet long, 20 feet 5 inches wide, had a depth of 9 feet, and was 155 31/95ths tons, UNCLE BEN was subsequently owned by Harvey M. and Leander W. Mixer of Buffalo (Permanent Enrollment #20, Buffalo, March 27, 1357); Harrison B. and Leander W. Mixer of Buffalo (Permanent Enrollment #144, Buffalo, September 14, 1857); and David R. Morse, Henry E. Perdne,and Morris Hazard, all of Buffalo (Permanent Enrollment #61, Buffalo, July 13, 1859).
Part of a larger articel entitled "Tale of the Turncoat Tugboat," written by Richard Wright, and published in Telescope.
January 1962 p. 3