The new tug C.W. WELLS pulled her first tow this morning, the schooner SLIGO, from Windsor Railway Dock to the Detroit M. C. Dock. Capt. Wm. Fisher is master, and William Reed, engineer.
Milwaukee Library Scrapbook
May 17, 1897
Capt. Ed. Horn's new tug, the C.W. WELLS has been tried and found highly satisfactory. The vessel is very unusual in the degree of finish given its interior and the convenient arrangement of its sleeping and eating accommodations. She has an ice box built into her kitchen, a fine range, convenient dish racks, and a table that can be folded up and stored away. Her engines are new and bright, and her boiler, wrapped in asbestos painted red, adds as much to the beauty as the utility of the tug. Her wheel house is up to date, and her name signs and the style in which she is painted gives her a strictly business air, highly gratifying to marine gentlemen. She is unusually powerful, capable of raft towing or wrecking, and carries twenty ton of coal in her bunkers.
May 18, 1897
Steam screw C.W. WELLS. U. S. No. 126244. Of 38.06 tons gross; 19.03 tons net. Built at Marine City, Mich., in 1884. Home port, Port Huron, Mich. 65.6 x 14.4 x 6.9
Merchant Vessel List, U.S., 1895
NOTE:- The C.W. WELLS burned in 1895 but was rebuilt 1897, and again burnt near Amherstburg in the fall of 1897, a total loss.