JOHN KENDALL, US.229098, Single Screw Steel Fireboat launched August 24, 1929 by Toledo S.B. Co.,Toledo (Hull#182) for the Fire Department of the City of Detroit. 135' LOA x 29' x 15’6”; 347 GRT. Powered by a 950 ihp two cylinder compound steam engine and two coal fired water tube boilers. Stationed for many years at the foot of 24th Street in Detroit Sold in 1978 to Panoceanic Engineering Corp., Alpena, Mi. for conversion to a tug. The KENDALL was repowered at Alpena with a 1600 bhp V-12 cylinder G.M. diesel engine taken from Halco’s BAY TRANSPORT. The engine had been rebuilt by Atlas Marine in 1950. Ferris Marine Contracting purchased the tug in November 1985. The KENDALL was cut up in the old channel of the Rouge River, Detroit in 1994.
Detroit Marine Historian