HURON, C.71216, Twin Screw Iron Railway Carferry. Assembled in 1875 at Point Edward, Ont. supervised by JohnSmith (no Hull #). Launched June 3, 1875 for Grand Trunk R.R. 242' x54' x 12'9"; 1052 grt. Powered by two 450 hp single cylinder, high pressure, non condensing steam engines. First ran between Sarnia and Port Huron, but since 1898 hauled rail cars between Windsor and Detroit. Reboilered twice, in 1888 and 1913, with two Scotch boilers each time. Upper structure removed and reduced to a car float at Windsor in 1975. Towed to an old Great Lakes Engineering Works slip at Ecorse, Ml by Gaelic Tug in mid 1980s. Still there in sunken condition.
Detroit Marine Historian