Maganettawan (Propeller), 1877
- Full Text
The wooden propeller MAGANETTAWAN measured 100' x 21' x 9', Official Number 71112. She was built in 1877 by Story at Byng Inlet for the local MAGANETTAWAN Lumber Company, Limited, an Ontario company incorporated August 1st, 1876.
From 1877 until 1881 she was operated between Byng Inlet and Collingwood with passengers, mail and package freight, calling both ways at Parry Sound. She therefore came into competition with the 135 foot side-wheeler WAUBUNO which ran between her home port Parry Sound and Collingwood.
On November 24th, 1879, the upbound MAGANETTAWAN's safe arrival at Parry Sound brought her into the news because the overdue WAUBUNO had cleared Collingwood on November 22nd several hours ahead of the MAGANETTAWAN. It was discovered later the WAUBUNO foundered in the northwest gale with all twenty four persons on board. The MAGANETTAWAN had survived the gale by sheltering behind Christian Island's curving Bar Point until the gale subsided and then proceeding up the Inside Passage.
In 1884 the MAGANETTAWAN was purchased by Jesse Peckham of Waubaushene and in 1896 he sold her to William Irwin of Collingwood who held timber limits at Lake Wahnapitae and near Byng Inlet. He used her for lumbering. On July 15th, 1896, she was so engaged at the mouth of the Naiscoot River, ten miles south of Byng Inlet, and stranded on one of the numerous submerged rocks. On September 10th, 1896, her engine and boiler were salvaged, and installed later in the tug Signal at Owen Sound. (by W.R. Williams)
Winter 1954 p. 289
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes