In the latter 1830's and early 1840's regular steamboat communication became established between the Maumee and the various ports of Lake Erie, including Buffalo, Cleveland, Sandusky, and Monroe, and had even extended beyond Detroit to ports on the upper lakes to include Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.
The first announcement of a steamboat plying exclusively between the towns on the Maumee is reported to have appeared in the spring of 1838, when it was announced that the SUN, C. K. Bennett, Master, would make regular trips daily between Perrysburg, Maumee, Toledo, and Manhattan." The following year the GEN. VANCE began her trips between the various ports of the Maumee. Captain Spink took his craft from Perrysburg at 7:30 every morning, touched at Maumee and Oregon, arrived at Toledo before the train left on the Kalamazoo line for Adrian, and put in at Manhattan at 9:00. By noon the GEN. VANCE was back in Perrysburg, leaving that place at 1:30, and from Toledo at 4 o'clock, "or after the arrival of the cars from Adrian. "Besides the two regular trips made each day, the craft was offered for sailing parties "by giving a few hours notice to the Capt., or to the . . . agents," J. Hollister 8: Co., of Perrysburg. The Captain also was attending "prompt” to all calls from Capts. Of vessel who . . . [desired] to be towed either up or down the river.
Captain Wm. H.Gallagher, with the steamboat ANDREW JACKSON, supplied service between Toledo and Monroe, leaving Toledo every morning at 8:00, and Monroe at 1:00 in the afternoon. On alternate days, the steamboat COMMERCE, Captain V. P. Stevens, left Lower Sandusky (Fremont) at 7:00 in the morning for the Maumee ports, returning to the Sandusky the following day.
(from article entitled "Navigation at the foot of the Maumee Rapids, 1815 - 1845 by Maurer Maurer, published in Morthwest Ohio Quarterly, July 1943, pp. 158-173)