Quayle & Sons, at their ship yards up the river, are now building three propellers for the grain trade between Buffalo and Chicago. Two are for the Anchor Line, and will be 250 feet keel, 270 overall, 36 feet beam, and 16 feet hold, with a carrying capacity of 1,500 tons apiece. They will be provided with two engine each, one low pressure, 24 by 48 stroke, and the other 48 by 48. They are being built at the Cuyahoga Works in this city. One of these vessels Is to be launched and completed by the 15th of May, and the other by the 15th of June. They have a third steamer on their stocks for the Western Transit Company, which will be 260 feet keel, 275 feet on deck, 37 feet beam, and 16 feet hold. The Globe Works are building the engines, and the vessel is to be completed in August.
A visit to the yards, where they have some 250 to 300 men at work, is very interesting, as it presents a busy scene. They are among the largest boats that have been built at these yards, and they are putting about a million feet of lumber into each one of the vessels. They will be worth about $100,000 when completed. They are built with double decks, and have overhead arches, 13 by 28, extending the whole length of the vessel. They are put up in the most substantial manner, and each one is salted with about 200 barrels of salt. Mr. George Quayle, one of the firm, thinks that the future steamers on the lakes will be built of iron, and surrounded as they are with immense rolling mills and foundries, and with all the facilities at hand, it would be an easy task to convert their yards to iron ship-building.
Friday, March 8, 1878
. . . . .
The Steam Barge DELAWARE.
The new steam barge The DELAWARE, now lying in Quayle & Son's shipyard, will not be launched this week, as was generally expected, but the early part of next. The DELAWARE will be one of the largest boats on the lakes, and will be another addition to the leviathans that have been built within the past few years. The two other boats built by the same firm are nearly completed, and will be ready for launching, the first by July 1st, the other by the middle of August. The building of these boats during the past winter has been a great boom to this county, having been the means of giving employment to a large number of men, among whom, up to the present time, over $200,000 has been paid for wages alone.
Friday, May 24, 1878
. . . . .
A SHIP LAUNCH.
THE DELAWARE PLUNGES SUCCESSFULLY INTO THE RIVER.
Yesterday afternoon, while the rain was steadily falling, a large number of persons collected at Quayle's ship-yard to witness the launching of a new propeller, the DELAWARE, now being completed for the Erie & Western Transportation. On board the new boat, as she stood high out of the water, was a part of those invited, while perched about on piles of lumber and sheds, and lining the Heights was a large crowd of spectators, and on the banks of the river opposite was a long line of men and boys. At 4:45 everything was ready, and
Then the master, with a gesture of command, Waved his hand ---
and the huge ship moved sideways to the water's edge. Touching the water she plunged in, rolling fearfully over and righting at once, while the water of the river thus displaced rolled on toward the other bank. Thus the fun commenced, as the crowd scrambled back a little. But the wave, rushing over the bank, flooded the multitude, and some men and more boys were overwhelmed and completely lost to sight. As the water receded feet and flying arms were first seen, and then whole bodies would rise up out of the fresh mud, startled and annoyed, and looking for some one to blame. One man was washed under a pile of lumber, and several boys narrowly escaped from being washed into the river.
The DELAWARE is to cost $45,000, and will be used on the lakes for freight. She is very large and finely arranged and constructed, and will be one of the first boats on the Great Lakes. A full description of the boat has already be recently printed in the Herald.
Her engine and boiler were built in Cleveland. She has a cylinder 24 x 48 inches with a four foot stroke. The boat will be commanded by Captain Christy, and D.P. Stewart will be engineer. The DELAWARE will be furnished to-day.
May 30, 1878
. . . . .
The measurements indicate that the new propeller DELAWARE, that was launched on Wednesday, is of 1,731 tons burden. It required much figuring to arrive at a correct estimate.
June 1, 1878
. . . . .
Something About The machinery Of The New Anchor Line Steamer.
The new steamer DELAWARE, recently completed and launched by Quayle & Sons of this city, has just undergone the engineer's trial and Government inspection, and is about to make her first trip to Erie, where she will load and go up the lakes. A general description of the hull of the DELAWARE has already been given, and now that her machinery has been put in, tested and inspected, with results entirely satisfactory to builders and owners, it will be proper to give some description of that part of the vessel.
The boiler of the DELAWARE is of the usual marine style, and has double fire boxes of Otis steel, six main flues, and 178 return tubes. The shell is 9-1/2 feet in diameter, and 17 feet long over all, and is made of Simmes Martin plate, 17/32 inch thick, which in testing was found to have a tensile strength as high as 75,000 pounds per square inch of section. The steam chimney is 84 inches in diameter and 84 inches in height. The principal seams are double riveted, and the internal bracing and staying has been done in the most permanent and thorough manner. The boiler rests on an iron deck midway from the keel onto the main deck, and it is entirely enclosed within an iron bulkhead, or room, within which there is not a single particle of wood, thus insuring security against fire. The top of the boiler and the steam chimney is covered with J.W. Beech's patent metallic covering for the prevention of loss of heat by radiation. The engine is of the kind known as the inverted compound, having a high pressure cylinder, 24 inches bore, and 48 inches stroke, above a low pressure engine, 48 inches bore, and 48 inches stroke. The engine is from new designs and patterns and contains some new and important features relating to the transfer and distribution of the steam between the high and the low pressure cylinders, the exact results of which can only be known by use. In accordance with the most recent practice in marine engineering, the stroke has been increased above that in common use heretofore, and the result is that the large wheel is handled with ease and rapidity, which is very important in working a vessel in and out of the harbors. The cranks, which are of forged iron are double, and connected by a steel crank pin. The main shaft is 12 inches in diameter, and connects with the propeller shaft by means of a peculiar universal coupling, which was first introduced on the lakes by this firm on the steamship AMAZON, and which is now being copied by other builders of this class of engines. The propeller wheel is 11 feet in diameter, and was made by Farrer & Treffts, of Buffalo, from a new and special pattern for this steamer. The principal working parts of the engine are of steel. The air pump, bilge and feed pumps are all conveniently arranged so as to be easy of access, and the overflow pipe from the hot well has a Kingston valve on the inside of the hull to prevent the inflowing of water in case it should be necessary to take down any pipes while under way. The want of such a valve has in some instances endangered the safety of several steamers on the lakes. In addition to the usual steam and vacuum gauges there is a fine, large engine counter for recording the number of revolutions the wheel makes from port to port. There is also a automatic lubricator for oiling the interior of the steam cylinders. This very complete apparatus, which is the invention of William Moses, the Chief Engineer of the Anchor Line, can be readily changed so as to feed any quantity from one up to fifty drops of oil per revolution, by simply turning a screw. While the engine of the DELAWARE, owning to its length of stroke, is unusually high, it is well proportioned and strong in all its parts, and from appearances and the trials already made, there is no doubt that it will equal if not excel the marine engines turned out by the same works. Mr. David P. Stewart will have charge of the machinery as engineer of the boat.
June 12, 1878
. . . . .
A letter from William Moses, chief engineer of the Anchor Line, with regard to the working of the DELAWARE, which left here on the 12th inst., says:
We left Cleveland light-house at 7:30 P. M., and reached fully abreast of Fairport light at 10:30 P. M., running fully ten miles per hour and reached abreast of Erie lighthouse at 5:30 A. M., making the run in ten hours. As to handling, as the saying is, she is as "easy as an old shoe," and obeys her helm like a thing of life. We had a good chance to try her in Erie harbor moving from one dock to another. She left Erie with about 300 tons of freight, not enough to put her in trim for moving, but I have no doubt when loaded in Chicago she will give a good account of her carrying capacity, which is about 1,900 tons.
June 19, 1878
Steam screw DELAWARE. U. S. No. 6961. Of 1,731.70 tons gross; 1,526.53 tons net. Built Cleveland, O., 1878. Home port, Erie, Pa.
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1884