The schooner WILLIAM JAMIESON, named after her builder, was launched at Mill Point Saturday week. She is of 11,000 bushels capacity.
July 11, 1878
. . . . .
Messrs. Rathbun & Son have just launched a new schooner from their yard at Mill Point. Master Willie Rathbun performed the ceremony of baptism, naming the vessel WILLIAM JAMIESON, in compliment to her builder. Her capacity is 11,000 bushels. Her value $9,500. This is the eighteenth vessel turned out of this yard since 1871. She is intended for the Bay trade, and was built for Captain Hinckley of Kingston.
July 8, 1878
. . . . .
Messrs. Rathbun & Son have just have launched a new schooner from their yard at Mill Point. Master Willie Rathbun performed the ceremony of baptism, naming the vessel Wm. JAMIESON, in compliment to the builder. Her capacity is 11,000 bushels, her value $9,500. This is the eighteenth vessel turned out of this yard since 1871. She is intended for the bay trade, and was built for Captain Hinckley, of Kingston.
Chicago Inter Ocean
July 13, 1878
. . . . .
NUMBER : 6
Name : Wm. JAMISON
Description : Schooner
Tons : 143.77
When Built : June 1878 (June 25)
Where Built : Milipoint
Present Master : James Hinckley
Where She Belongs : Whitby
Builders Name & Date of Certificate:- H. B. Rathbun & Sons, June 25th. 1878
Description of Vessel: --
Masts : Two
Decks : One
How Rigged : Schooner
Standing or Running Bowsprit : no entry
Square or Round Stern : Square
Figure-head : None
Carvel or Clinker Built : Carvel
Surveyor : Geo. Elliot
Length : 100 feet
Breadth : 25.4 feet
Depth of Hold : 8.6 feet
Suscribing Owners :- John McLelland & Wm. Cann both of Bowmanville and david Galbraith
of Whitby all equal owners with 21 & 1/3 share they sold to Mary Savage of Picton, late
wife of James Savage, dated Aug. 22, 1905 and priced at $I,800, she sold to Chancy Daryaw
of Kingston a mariner dated May 28, 1908.
NOTATIONS Registry transferred to Whitby July 25, 1885
Official Canadian Number 75912
Registry closed and transferred to Kingston Feb. 6, 1908 at 5 p.m.
Wm. JAMISON sunk by leaking north of Amherst Island, May 15, 1923. 550 tons of coal as cargo. Capt. McManus & crew safe after abandoning the vessel. (penciled in by register)
Port of Whitby, Shipping Register
National Archives, Ottawa
Schooner WILLIAM JAMIESON. Official Canada No. 75912. Of 143 tons Register. Built at Mill Point, Ont., in 1878. Home port, Whitby, Ont. 100.0 x 25.4 x 8.6 Owned by D. Galbraith, M. O. of Whitby, Ont.
List of Vessels on the Registry of the
Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1902