THE STEAMER ALABAMA. -- This new steamer, now fitting up at the wharf of B. Higgins & Co., for the Sandusky City and Buffalo Railroad Line, is a most magnificent affair. Her model, build, finishing and furnishing are of the most perfect specimens of their various arts.
Her dimensions are as follows: -- Length 240 feet; beam 29 feet; depth of hold 12 feet; propelled by two powerful engines.
Her Gentlemen's Cabin is situated under the main deck, which for persons predisposed to sea-sickness, the motion of the boat being scarcely felt, or for delightful coolness far surpasses the construction of any other boat on Lake Erie. This cabin is lined on each side with large state-rooms, containing but two wide roomy berths each, with at least from 12 to 18 inches more room than are allowed on steamers in general, and then such nice, new, clean springy mattresses -- they would even court sleep from a dyspeptic. Each is lined and ventilated from underneath the guards.
The Ladies' Saloon, on the main deck, is 100 feet in length, finished in an exquisitely neat and artistic manner. The state-rooms are large, all furnished with double French bedsteads, with spiral spring mattresses.
She has sleeping arrangements for 250 passengers, all in the cabins. She will carry no steerage passengers nor a pound of freight -- everything being for the comfort and ease of passengers.
It is thought, from the fact that she is not made top-heavy by a cabin on the hurricane deck -- that catch-wind on our lake boats -- that the ALABAMA can make her run from this city to Buffalo in 15 hours, and regularly three trips a week between these ports, and this too, when other boats are compelled to lie by.
She is to be commanded by Captain A. D. Perkins, well known upon our lakes as the commander of that old favorite, GENERAL WAYNE, and for the last season upon the SOUTHERNER. -- Sandusky Mirror.
Buffalo Daily Courier
Saturday, January 20, 1849
. . . . .
STEAMER ALABAMA. -- This is the name of a new steamer which made its first appearance here on Saturday. She was built at Detroit, by Wm. Gooding, of that city, and is owned by Marshal Burton, of Sandusky. Her burthen is 799:25-95ths tons. She is to run in the Sandusky line, making two trips a week, and we understand is designed for cabin passengers only, having two cabins. Capt. A. D. Perkins, who is so well known as a gentlemanly and obliging officer, takes the command of her.
Buffalo Daily Courier
Monday, April 23, 1849