LAUNCH OF THE SCHOONER "LYMAN CASEY" -- The new schooner LYMAN CASEY, built by Capt. J. M. Keating for Messrs. Carrington & Casey, of this city, was launched yesterday afternoon from the ship-yard foot of Elm Street. The announcement of the event drew together a large concourse of people, and no small proportion of them were ladies. At a little after 2 o'clock the vessel began to move upon the "ways" towards the watery element, but made slow progress for about half an hour, owing to the coolness of the atmosphere stiffening the tallow with which the "ways" were greased. But the quite movement of the noble craft, so far from detracting from the beauty of the launch, increased it; she slipped off as smoothly, and almost as noiselessly as a row-boat would have done, and it was the universal exclamation that a better launch had never been witnessed at this port.
As she struck the water the crowd on her decks gave hearty cheers, in which they were joined by not a few on the shore. Passing some distance into the stream, the vessel swung partly around and drifted down the river a short distance, when the tug HEWETT took hold of her, and towed her to Findlay & Wilder's dock. An opportunity was then given those who desired it to inspect her workmanship.
The LYMAN CASEY was built for the canal trade, and is as large as can pass the locks. Her length is 143 feet; beam 26 feet 2 inches; depth of hold 14 feet; capacity about 20,000 bushels. She is, undoubtedly the best vessel ever built at this end of the lake. The timber put into her was furnished principally by D. Smith at his mill, foot of Cherry street, and is the best that could be selected. The hull is bolted with 3\4 inch iron bolts -- frames 12 inches apart, with bolts extending through the outer plank and ceiling and fastened on the inside -- four bolts to each plank. In addition to these the ceiling and bilge keelsons are bolted from the keelson to the deck, each bolt passing edge-wise through at least four of the plank, so that the hull has all the strength that wood and iron can give it. Underneath her decks, each beam is supported with a knee, and between the deck beams are double-knees. Her spars are fastened in a manner that appeared to us peculiar, and so firmly, that one cannot conceive of any other method by which to secure greater strength. Between her frames are deposited 75 barrels of salt as a preservative of the timber.
The cabin is not yet completed, but so nearly that a good idea of it may be obtained. The captain's quarters are large, about 8 feet from floor to ceiling, and will be furnished in good style. It has a berth, clothes-press, space for a desk, with sufficient room for the captain to enjoy a siesta with his family, when wind and weather will permit. There is also a large state-room, connected with the captain's room by a door. There are also three other state-rooms, a large and conveniently arranged kitchen, a store-room and a water closet.
In every particular the LYMAN CASEY realizes the expectations of her builder and owners, and the fact that the latter have long been identified with shipping, and have several first class vessels, renders an expression from them of itself as high an encomium as can be bestowed upon the builder Capt. J. M. Keating. We hesitate not in saying this craft is superior to any that he has ever built. The cost of the vessel will be about $30,000.
The LYMAN CASEY will be commanded by Capt. William Harlow, late of the LEWIS WELLS, one of the best navigators on the lakes.
April 25, 1867
Schooner LYMAN CASEY. U. S. No. 14830. Of 291.83 tons gross; 277.24. Built Toledo, O., 1867. Home port, Detroit, Mich. 136.1 x 26.0 x 13.0.
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1885