We had the pleasure this morning, of looking through the beautiful new schooner"Olive Branch" which Messrs. Goble & Macfarlane have been constructing for O. M. Bond and other parties. Her dimensions are 110 feet keel, 25 feet beam, and 8 feet hold, and she is built of the very best material throughout, and will be launched from Gobles's ship-yard Saturday afternoon, if the weather be favorable. There are some improvements in the construction of this vessel, worthy of notice. She is the first vessel ever fitted out in Oswego with wire rigging, which combines the advantages of lightness, strength and durability.
It is manufactured in England, and Mr. Bond procured it in Kingston, where an agency for its sale has been established. It is twisted in the form of rope, and is galvanized to prevent rusting. The steering apparatus, which was manufactured by King and Radcliff, of this city, works on a different principle from that in common use, and is considered a superior invention by all who have tried it. The vessel is also furnished with a raised deck from the forward part of the cabin aft which gives greater depth to the hold, thus adding to the carrying capacity under deck.
This is a peculiarity introduced by Mr. Goble in the construction of vessels, and is a great improvement. There are five state rooms all of which are beautifully finished and furnished, the wood work being grained in the finest style. Adjoining the state rooms is the galley which has all the conveniences that can be provided for such a room. The deck frame is very heavy, strong and substantial and while put together so as to leave the hold clean and clear of obstruction, it looks as if the highest fury of the waves and winds could never strain it. The "Olive Branch" is designed especially for the lumber trade between this port and Saginaw, but she is in all respects, fit for the transportation of grain.
Her commander will be Capt. Stephen La Faiver, a young man who is acknowledged to be an able and efficient officer. We must no omit to mention the design which is painted above the name on the stern. It is a dove descending from the clouds, bearing the branch of olive that heralds the cessation of storms and the return of peace. In beauty of conception and excellence of execution this design could no be easily surpassed. It is the work of Mr. W. H. Wentworth, Portrait and Sign painter.
In general appearance this schooner is acknowledged by every one who has inspected her, to be on of the most beautiful and perfect vessels ever built in Oswego. There is a symmetry of proportions throughout which is remarkably pleasing to the eye, and at the same time she has a durable, sea-worthy look, which gives promise of many successful voyages.
Oswego Commercial Advertiser and Times.
Thursday evening April 19,1866
. . . . .
A new schooner has been built at Oswego for the grain and lumber trade. She is called the OLIVE BRANCH, is 110 feet in length, 25 feet beam, and 8 feet depth of hold. The OLIVE BRANCH is the first vessel ever fitted out at Oswego with wire rigging, which is said to combine great strength, lightness and durability. In all her appointments she will be equal to the best vessel afloat.
April 21, 1866
Launches. - There was a lively time in the Ship yards of Messrs. Goble & Macfarlane and Lee & Navagh this morning. Preparations were made for the launching of a vessel from each yard, and the programme was carried out to the perfect satisfaction of the builders, and also the large gathering of people who were attracted to witness the proceedings. At 10 o'clock the schooner Oliver Branch gracefully glided into her element amid the cheers of the crowd.
She is an elegantly modeled ship built by Messrs. Gobble & Macfarlane for Mr. O.M. Bond and others and she sits upon the water like a duck. She - like the "Henry Fitzhugh," launched from the same yard a few days since, - is wire-rigged throughout, and it gives her a trim and rakish appearance such as sailors delight to see. her dimensions are as follows: Length 110
feet, beam 15 feet, hold eight feet. She is built for the lumber trade with Saginaw and the lower lake ports, and will be commanded by Stephen Lefaivar. She can be used for grain carrying if necessary. The Fitzhugh and olive Branch are the first wire-rigged vessels built in this city.
After the Olive Branch had been successfully launched, the crowd had to "look quick" for the movement of the Corsair, a splendid vessel just completed by Messrs. Lee & Navagh at their yard. At half past 10 o'clock precisely she moved from the ways and slid into the water - to use an elegant, though not entirely original expression - "as slick as grease." Her splendid lines, and perfect model were the theme of general comment.
She is one of the finest vessels ever built here, and is a credit to the firm of Lee & Navagh. The Corsair was built for, and is owned by Messrs. DeWolfe & Smyth. Her dimensions are over all length 242 feet, beam 26 ft. 3 in., depth of hold 11 feet, and will carry about 18,000 bushels wheat through the Welland Canal - at least until the Niagara Ship Canal is built.
she will be commanded by Capt. Richard Earl, a competent and faithful officer.
Saturday, April 21, 1866
. . . . .
An excursion- The West Baptist Sunday School will be favored with a short ride on the Schooner "Olive Branch"- the new vessel just built by Messrs. Goble & Macfarlane for Messrs. 0. M. Bond and others, on Monday next, the
23rd inst. Provided the weather is favorable.
The vessel will leave the wharf first below the Iron Bridge, on the west side about 5 o¹clock p.m. in tow of Capt. M.M. Wheeler¹s new tug, and will be out about one hour. The Sax Horn Band is expected to join in the excursion.
The ride to the school will be free and to all others fifty cents will be charged.
Anyone feeling interested enough in the school to give fifty cents, can have a passage and the thanks of the school.
The school desire to replenish their library and any money the friends will contribute on this occasion will be appropriated for the good of the school.
Should the lake be rough or the weather unfavorable, the ride will be postponed until Tuesday the 24th ins at the same time.
Those belonging to the school can procure tickets at Hees' bookstore
Oswego Commercial Advertiser & Times
Thursday April 21, 1866
Vessel Launched,- The "Olive Branch" the beautiful new schooner built by Messrs. Goble & Macfarlane, for O.M. Bond and others, was launched at the foot of West Second Street this morning. Under the direction of Mr. Goble the launch was a complete success. Everything was in perfect order and at precisely twenty-five minutes past nine she moved down the ways "like a thing of life."
The New schooner built by Lee and Navaugh, for Messrs. De Wolf and Smythe, was also launched this morning with equal success.
Oswego Commercial Times
Saturday, April 21, 1866
NAME: OLIVE BRANCH
OFFICIAL NO: 19061
GROSS: 167.82 (Pre-list; 1869; 1870; 1871; 1872; 1873; 1875; 1876)
HOME PORT: Oswego, NY (Pre-list; 1869; 1870; 1871; 1872; 1873; 1875; 1876)
YEARS LISTED: Pre-list; 1869; 1870; 1871; 1872; 1873; 1875; 1876.
NOTES: Listed as wrecked in 1876.
Mvus, pre-list to 1885