Early Vessels built at OSWEGO, NY
Name Rig Year Length Beam Depth Tons Remarks
Oswego* Slp 1755 43 15 7 60 10 guns, 9 and 12 pdrs, plus
Ontario* Slp 1755 43 15 7 60 10 guns, 9 and 12 pdrs, plus
George* Schr 1755 undecked, armed with swivels
Lively Schr 1755 2 guns and 28 swivels.
Captured by French, 1756 & renamed Farquer. Recaptured at Ft. Niagara, 1759.
Vigilant* Schr 1755 Armed with swivels
Farquer Schr 1755 Captured at sea by the French 6/27/56. Recaptured at Fort
Niagara in 1759. Armed with 2 guns and 28 swivels
London* Brig 1756 60 21 7 160 14 guns, 6 and 4 pdrs, plus 8 swivels
Halifax* Snow 1756 80.5 22 8.6 172 Never armed
Mohawk* Slp 1756 45 18 7 80 6 guns, 4 and 3
pdrs, plus 4 swivels
Dispatch vessel* Schr 1756 Never launched
Five galleys Lugger 1759 Each armed with 1 howitzer
Missisaga Snow 1759 Built after re-occupacion
Mohawk Snow 1760 Wrecked in 1864
Brunswick Schr 1765 Armed with light guns
Genesee Schr 1799
*Captured and burned by the French at Oswego in 1756
(extracted from FRESHWATER , Geo. A. Cuthbertson, New York, 1931)
The Commerce of the Lakes now and One Hundred Years Ago.
From the Buffalo Express.
There were during the season of 1766, four vessels upon Lake Erie, viz: The GLADWIN, LADY CHARLOTTE, VICTORY, and BOSTON. The two latter laid up in the fall near Navy Island, and one of them was burned accidentally Nov. 30th.
During the year 1767, the BRUNSWICK, Capt. Alexander Grant, made her appearance on the lakes. John Brown, Captain of the 2nd Battalion of Royal Americans, was in command at Niagara; Capt. Soyer, Engineer; Neil McLean, Commissary of Stores and Provisions; and Edward Pollard, Sutler.
1768 -The Hudson River opened March 7th. April 26th, Sir William Johnson visits New England for his health. In June, Major Rogers, becoming embarrassed financially, endeavored to settle his accounts by cutting off the garrison at Mackinac, and carry the guns of that fort against Detroit, and then join Hopkins in the Mississippi, but was arrested and sent in irons to be tried at Ontario.
In October, Mr. Ellice returned from Detroit to Schenectady with 150 packs of furs. Dec. 5th, the harbors on Lake Ontario were closed by ice, and the stores destined for Fort Niagara were detained at Ontario.
1769 - Henry White, of New York, who had control of the King's vessels on Lake Erie, writes to Captain Grant, who was then the commodore on the lake, requesting him to give Mr. Campbell's freight preference. Thereupon, Phyn & Ellice, of Schenectady, and Sterling & Porteous, of Detroit, commence building a vessel at Detroit. This vessel was built by contract with Mr. Tyms, of New York. Richard Cornwall, of New York, was the carpenter, Gregg, Cunningham & Co. furnished the rigging. Col. Stevenson, in command at Niagara, helps forward the stores of this new vessel, which was named the ENTERPRISE.
The boatmen that went with the rigging and stores from Schenectady to Detroit were to have each £20 and ten gallons of rum. They were seventy days on Lake Erie, and two of the number perished from hunger, and their bodies kept for days exposed to decoy eagles and ravens. They returned to New York, February 12th, 1770, by the way of Fort Pitt, now Pittsburg.
In May, 1770, the Charity was launched at Niagara. Upon Lake Erie were the GLADWIN, LADY CHARLOTTE, BRUNSWICK, and MUSKANUNGEE.
This year, the Duke of Gloucester, Secretary Townsend, Samuel Tutchet, Henry Baxter, -?- Cruickshank, Sir Wm. Johnson, -?- Bostwick, and Alexander Henry, formed a Company for mining copper ore on Lake Superior. In December, they built, near Sault de Sainte Marie, a barge, and laid the keel of a sloop of forty tons. The Shipyard was at Point aux Pins, three leagues from the Sault
Goderich Signal, Semi Weekly
Friday, January 1, 1864