Ship-building. - An early stroll this morning into Ald. Roger¹s and Geo. Goble¹s ship-yards, furnished us with a little item of local interest. The click of the caulking-iron and hammer was to be heard on every side, and the greatest activity prevailed on the four large hulls which reared themselves up, side by side, covered with busy workmen. Ald. Rogers has on his stocks a new brig of about 18,000 bushels, for H. Colborn, Esq., and a fore-and-after of same capacity, for the Game Cock Line of Messrs.. Clemow & Bloore. These two vessels are in a forward state of completion, having their spars in, and a portion of the rigging up.
They are pretty models, and will compare favorably with the other vessels that have been built at this year. The steam tug of THOS. DOBBIE, also in Roger¹s yard, is receiving the finishing strokes, and will probably be ready for launching with the vessels. Next west of this is Mr. Goble¹s yard, in which he is building a staunch, good-looking fore-and-after for Doolittle, Irwin & Wright. Her capacity we should judge to be about 16,000 bushels.
All these vessels will be ready for launching about the same time, and that, as soon as the snow and ice remaining along the shore, at the foot of the yards, will permit. Ald. Rogers now employs in and about his yard, one hundred and fifty men, which will give some idea of the magnitude of his business. In both yards there must be nearly two hundred workmen employed, who present a lively scene.
Oswego Times & Journal
April 17, 1856
A New Vessel. - Ald. Rogers has just completed a very splendid schooner-rigged vessel, at his ship-yard, which is allowed to be as fin and staunch a vessel as was ever built in this city. She is of the largest class that can pass the Welland Canal locks, being 135 feet keel, 11 ½ feet hold , and 25 ½ beam. No pains have been spared in making her as strong as the best quality of timber, and a liberal use of iron, and the employment of the most approved fastenings could.
She is square fastened, butt-bolted, very firmly and strongly arched, and bosom and hanging-kneed. Her rigging is also of the same superior character. She was built for and is owned by Messrs.. Kinyon & Collins and d.C. Abbey, and will be commanded by Captain John W. Barrow, of this city, one of the most thorough-bred, experienced, and skillful commanders on the lakes. She
is to be named after one of our most affluent, liberal and enterprising citizens, whose name will be a passport to public confidence wherever his high reputation for probity and magnanimity of hear, and comprehensive commercial and business views are known.
The launch took place yesterday afternoon at a little after five o'clock. She glided into her native element most superbly, amid the cheers and congratulations of the assembled throng. As she came to her bearings in the water and righted up, she sat as beautiful as a thing of life: and as the
bundle of bunting at her mast head was unfurled to the breeze, displaying in full round letters the name THOMAS KINGSFORD, the shouts of the throng on her deck and on shore welcomed the lucky name on her signal, with reciprocal and congratulatory shouts. She is an ornament to the city of her nativity, and does large credit to her builder.
Tuesday, September 30, 1856