Sarah E. Sheldon (Propeller), 5 Oct 1872
- Full Text
Steambarge SARAH C. SHELDON - This fine new vessel leaves today for Marquette to enter upon the iron ore trade with this port. She is owned by S.H. Sheldon & Co., lumber merchants of this city, and Capt. Peter Findlay, formerly of the schr. ELIZA TURNER, an experienced navigator, who takes command of the SHELDON. She was built at Black River. Her dimensions are, length of keel 185 ft., breadth of beam 33 ft., foremast 84 ft., mainmast 80 ft., mizzenmast 70 ft., topmasts 40 ft. each.
Her engine was made by the Cuyahoga Works and measures 33 inche stroke by 26 1/2 bore. The wheel 8 ft. diameter with 13 ft. lead. Boilers two in number and of high quality, being allowed by the Government Inspector to carry 100 pounds of steam. Her entire outfit consists of galvanized and steel wire rope, anchors, chains, capstans, sails and lines with all the various etceras was furnished by Upson & Walton on Contract.
October 5, 1872 4-7
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- new vessel
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes