Quayle's Sons' Yard. -- As soon as the JOHN B. LYON is launched the keel will be laid for another vessel 260 feet long, thirty-eight feet beam, and twenty-three feet hold. She is to be iron strapped similar to those now building, and will be launched and delivered about August 15th. Her engine and boiler are being constructed by the Globe Iron Works. She is to be built for Captain Thomas Wilson and Messrs. J. E. Upson; Thomas Quayle, and George L. Quayle.
Friday, February 11, 1881
. . . . .
New Vessels. -- The Herald has from time to time published items concerning the new craft building in this city, and to-day publishes it complete for the benefit of those who may not have seen it formerly:
The Messrs. Quayle's Sons employ about three hundred men in their yard. One of the vessels, the JOHN B. LYON, they have been building, was launched last week. She was of the following dimensions: Length of keel, 255 feet; width of beam, 38 feet; depth of hold, 20 feet. Her owner is Captain Frank Perew, of Buffalo, and she will be commanded by Captain John Perew, who was in the SAM FLINT last season. She cost $115,000.
The CITY OF ROME is nearing completion, and will be launched about May 1st. She is being built for Messrs. H. J. & R. K. Winslow, Captain B. S. Wolvin, and Mr. B. L. Pennington. She will have a keel 268 feet long, 40 feet wide, and hold 21 feet deep. She will cost $125,000. Captain B. S. Wolvin will command her.
The CUMBERLAND will be owned by Mr. W, G. Winslow, of Buffalo, who pays $110,000 for that privilege. She will be 250 feet long, 38 feet beam, and 20 feet deep. Her commander will be Captain John Coulter.
The keel for the vessel for Captain Thomas Wilson and others is laid. The keel is 260 feet long; beam, 38 feet; hold, 23 feet. She will cost about $120,000.
Saturday, March 12, 1881
STEAMSHIP "TACOMA" LAUNCHED YESTERDAY.
The new steamship TACOMA, successfully launched from the yard of Messrs. Thomas Quayle's Sons yesterday afternoon, presented a magnificent spectacle as she glided down the ways into the placid Cuyahoga. Tacoma is an Indian name, signifying the mountain. Mount Tacoma, in Washington Territory, is one of the highest on this continent (14,500 feet) and the City of Tacoma, on Puget Sound, is the western terminus of the Northern Pacific Railroad, and is bound to be one of the most important places in this growing country.
of the steamship TACOMA are as follows: Length of keel 261 feet 6 inches; over all 278 feet; breadth of beam 38 feet 6 inches; depth of hold 23 feet. Her Custom House measurement is 1879.12 tons. The keel is molded ten inches, and sided fourteen inches. The main keelsons are 16 x 16 inches; sister keelsons 14 x 16 inches; and rider keelsons 14 x 14 inches. The frame is molded at the keel 16 inches; at the bilge 14 inches and at the top 8 inches. The extra floor and futtocks are 6 inches thick. The bilge keelsons are 9, 8 and 7 inches. The ceiling from the bilge to the lower deck is 6 inches; between the gangways 3 inches; above the gangways 7 inches, notched on 1 inch. The lower deck beams 6 x 7 and 8 x 7 inches. The thickness of the lower shelf piece is 6 and 5 inches. The plankshear is 5 inches. The boat is kneed off with 6, 7 and 8 inch knees.
The Outside Planking
is as follows: Garboard streaks, 6 inches; the bottoms to the bilge 5 inches; bilge streaks 6 inches; from the bilge to the gangway 5 inches; between the top and bottom of the gangway 4 inches; from the top of the gangway to the plankshear 6 inches. The boat has three 7-inch fender streaks running fore and aft. She has an iron arch on the outside of the frame, and another one on the inside of the ceiling, bolted through the outside planking, frame, ceiling, and both arches. A straight extra chord also runs above the arch on the outside of the frame, all secured to the diagonal strapping. The outside arch chord is 10 x 7/8 inches; inside arch chord 15 x 3/4 inches; straight chord 8 x 7/8 inches, and the diagonal strapping 5 x 1/2 inches. The joiner work will be similar to that done on other steamer of this class.
and boiler were made and furnished by the Globe Iron Works of this city, who have taken special pains to make their work as near perfect as possible. She has a single compound engine. The high pressure cylinder is twenty-eight inches in diameter, with a forty-eight stroke, and the low pressure cylinder is fifty-two inches in diameter, with a forty-eight stroke. The two boilers are made of Otis steel, and are 8 x 17 feet each. She is allowed 110 pounds of steam. There are two smoke-stacks, each thirty feet high, and fifty inches in diameter. The ash pan is on an iron beam. Beech's patent covering is also used. Around the whole is an iron boiler house. Her wheel is eleven and a half feet in diameter, with a fourteen feet lead. The main shaft is ten and a half inches in diameter.
Mr. Barks, the engineer who is to have charge of the engine, has superintended the setting of it up, and has worked on it throughout its entire construction.
The piping and plumbing work, which is no small item, has been under the charge of Mr. Parsons, of Kennedy, DeForest & Parsons, and is elaborate and perfect in all its details. The iron house over the boilers, water tanks, etc., were included in their contract.
The entire outfit, including rigging, sails, anchors and chains, Harcourt's patent blocks, bilge and force pumps, etc., are of the most approved kind, and were furnished by Upson, Walton & Co., which is a sufficient guarantee of their excellence.
One of the greatest improvements, however, is the steam windlass and capstan, made by the American Ship Windlass Company, of Providence, and furnished through their agents, Upson, Walton & Co. This is the second one of its kind in use on the lakes, and is provided with a separate engine with two eight inch cylinders located under the upper deck, and this is looked upon by our steamboat men as one of the things long needed, as it enables the crew to handle the large anchors with ease and speed, and by means of the steam capstan much time is saved in hauling her up to the docks, etc. The American Ship Windlass Company sent on their chief engineer, Mr. farrell, to superintend the setting up of the windlass, that nothing should prevent its perfect working.
The vessel has also gangways on each side. Her anchor chains are all the same size; thus both chains can be used on one anchor if desired. The lower hold is divided into four apartments, with a fire extinguisher in each. Her deck engine connects with the fire pump and bilge pump, and is forward of the boilers. She has two fire plugs amidships, and a force pump forward. Taken altogether, she is well provided with apparatus to extinguish any fire that may break out.
This is the last of four large steamers contracted for last winter by the Messrs. Quayle's Sons. She was built for Captain Thomas Wilson, Messrs. Upson, Walton & Co., and others, and cost about $125,000 when ready for sea. She is officered as follows: Master, John Lowe; mate, Sol Hayward; first engineer, Granger Bark; second engineer, Charles S. Kridler.
It is no exaggeration to say that the TACOMA, taking into account all improvements introduced, workmanship in her construction and strength, is one of the finest steamships ever built in Cleveland.
It is expected she will be ready to load railroad iron by Monday next for Duluth.
September 1, 1881
The steamship TACOMA, launched at Cleveland, is four masted and of the following dimensions: Length of keel, 261 feet 6 inches; overall, 278 feet; beam, 38 feet 6 inches; hold, 23 feet. Her custom house measurement is 1,879 tons. She has a single compound engine, whose high pressure cylinder is 28 x 48, and the low pressure cylinder is 52 x 48. Her engine and boiler were built by the Globe Iron Works of Cleveland. The vessel is diagonally iron strapped, and has an iron arch on the outside of the frame and another on the outside of the ceiling, bolted through the outside planking, frame, ceiling and both arches. The joiner work will be similar to the work done on other steamers of this class. The steamer is fitted with a Providence steam windlass, the second on the lakes, the other being now in use on the steamship IRON DUKE. She was built for Captain Thomas Wilson and others, and will cost about $125,000 when ready for sea. She will be commanded by Captain John Lowe, with Sol Hayward as mate and Granger Burk first engineer.
The J.W. Hall Great lakes Marine Scrapbook, June/Sept., 1881
Steam screw TACOMA. U. S. No. 145268. Of 1,879 tons gross; 1,609 tons net. Built Cleveland, Ohio, 1881. Home port, Cleveland, Ohio. 260.7 x 38.7 x 21.7 Crew of 15. Of 600 indicated horsepower.
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1904