The new iron tug A. W. COLTON was in the harbor yesterday, and the following description of the tug is taken from the Buffalo special to the Chicago Tribune: The new iron tug A. W. COLTON, built by David Bell, made a trial trip this afternoon. Captain Huntley was in command, and a large number of marine men were aboard. Both engine and boiler worked very satisfactorily and the tug was voted a complete success. The COLTON leaves for Cleveland in the morning, having in tow the schooners A. L. ANDREWS and FLEETWING, both sulphur laden. Her crew is as follows: Master, M. T. Huntley; Wheelsman, Mortimer Huntley; Engineer, Charles Deshea; Fireman, Joseph Sayen; Steward, Charles Terrell. She will carry thirty tons of fuel. She will draw 9½ feet aft and 8½ forward. The COLTON is owned by Captain M. T. Huntley, the well-known tug manager, and A. W. COLTON, agent for the Wabash Propeller Line, both of Toledo. She has dimensions as follows: Length over all, 90 feet; beam, 18 feet; hold, 9 feet. The iron of her keel and stem is 4½ x 1½ inches; keelson, intercostal, ³/8 x 24; frames , 3 x 2½, and 17 inches apart; plating and floor plates ³/8 ; stern post, 6 x 2. The hold has two bulkheads of 3-16 inch iron, supported by angle iron 2½ x 2½. The plankshear is 8 x 14; and the main rail is 4 x 14 inches; the stanchions are 5 and 6 inches, and 18 inches between centers, and the bulwarks are 2½ inches beaded. All of these are of the best white oak. The deck beams are 4 x 5 inches, and the deck is of white pine 4 x 3. The tow posts are 15 inches square and have iron caps, and the timber-heads are 13 inches. The engine of the COLTON is a fine piece of machinery. It was made by Mr. Bell, and has a cylinder of 24 inches, with a stroke of 26 inches. It works a wheel 8 feet in diameter, with a lead of 13 feet, keyed on a shaft 7 inches in diameter.
The boiler is of steel and iron, and also bears Mr. Bell's stamp. It has a shell of 8 feet and a length of 16 feet, with 143 three-inch tubes. The plate is one-half inch thick, and will bear a pressure of 100 pounds. The boat also has an eight-inch pony pump, with fire-hoses, etc. The cabin arrangements of the COLTON are particularly noticeable. The deck-house is forty feet long and eight feet high inside, and is finely finished outside in imitation of mahogany with oak panels and molded cornice, the interior being oak grained. The pilot-house is on the upper deck, like that of a propeller, and is octagonal in form. Under it is a hallway leading down into the forecastle, and just back of this is another hall leading up into the pilot-house. In the rear of this is an office of the captain, eight-nine feet. Next comes the boiler-room, and then the engine-room, which is also on a level with the main deck, and is ten by twelve feet, and very conveniently arranged. Just in its rear is a water-closet and a hall leading to the lower cabin. This cabin is furnished with four double berths, and has a stateroom with two berths. The kitchen is partitioned off from the dining-room. The forecastle is large and well ventilated, and has six berths, beside lockers, drawers, etc. In fact, all rooms in the boat are high and light, and they are finished in fine style. The steering wheel is five and one half feet in diameter, and it is connected with the rudder by steel wire. The rudder is balanced on a five inch post, and is plated with three-sixteenths-inch iron. The pilot-house is surmounted by a large gilt eagle, carved by Buck, of this city, and the whistle consists of a chime of three notes. The smoke-stack is three feet in diameter and extends seventeen feet above the upper deck. The A. W. COLTON is the largest and finest iron tug on the lakes. She was built under supervision of captain Huntley, who knows that in her he has a boat staunch, complete and serviceable. She will be used chiefly for towing vessels between Toledo and Lake Huron. Her forefoot is set away for the purpose of adapting her for working in the ice. The complete cost of this tug is $20,000.
Wednesday, November 2, 1881
Steam screw A.W. COLTON. U. S. No. 106025. Of 92.61 tons gross; 48.46 tons net. Built Buffalo, N.Y., 1881. Home port, Toledo, O. 81.0 x 18.0 x 10.0
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1885