Quayle's Sons' Yard. -- There is more activity at this yard than any other in the city. A large number of men are engaged in pushing forward to completion the three steam barges at present under construction. The JOHN B. LYONS, building for Captain Frank Perew, is the nearest completed. They are all ready to begin "putting ways under her," and she will probably be launched some time next week. Her spars, and her engines and boilers, which were constructed by the King Iron Works at Buffalo, will be put in after she is launched. Captain John Perew will command her.
The CITY OF ROME has all her strapping completed. She has double the amount of iron straps usual. The upper chord is 8 x 1 inch; the chord underneath is in the form of an arch 18 x 1 inch. The planking is begun, and the bottom is about planked on the outside. She is sealed inside, and both deck frames are in. She will be commanded by Captain B. S. Wolvin. Her owners are Messrs. H. J. and R. K. Winslow, Captain B. S. Wolvin, and Mr. B. L. Pennington.
The barge CUMBERLAND is all sealed, and the lower deck frames are in. The shelf piece for the upper deck is being put on, and the iron strapping outside has been commenced. The upper chord is started. Another upper chord in the form of an arch goes on the outside, and is fastened to the strapping. In addition to this there will be another arch aft 5 x 1 inch extending from aft of the engine forward ninety feet. She is building for Mr. W. S. Winslow, of Buffalo, and will be commanded by Captain John Coulter.
As soon as the JOHN B. LYON is launched the keel will be laid for another vessel 260 feet long, thirty-eight feet beam, and twenty-three feet hold. She is to be iron strapped similar to those now building, and will be launched and delivered about August 15th. Her engine and boiler are being constructed by the Globe Iron Works. She is to be built for Captain Thomas Wilson and Messrs. J. E. Upson; Thomas Quayle, and George L. Quayle.
Friday, February 11, 1881
. . . . .
New Vessels. -- The Herald has from time to time published items concerning the new craft building in this city, and to-day publishes it complete for the benefit of those who may not have seen it formerly:
The Messrs. Quayle's Sons employ about three hundred men in their yard. One of the vessels, the JOHN B. LYON, they have been building, was launched last week. She was of the following dimensions: Length of keel, 255 feet; width of beam, 38 feet; depth of hold, 20 feet. Her owner is Captain Frank Perew, of Buffalo, and she will be commanded by Captain John Perew, who was in the SAM FLINT last season. She cost $115,000.
The CITY OF ROME is nearing completion, and will be launched about May 1st. She is being built for Messrs. H. J. & R. K. Winslow, Captain B. S. Wolvin, and Mr. B. L. Pennington. She will have a keel 268 feet long, 40 feet wide, and hold 21 feet deep. She will cost $125,000. Captain B. S. Wolvin will command her.
Saturday, March 12, 1881
. . . . .
The boilers of the new steamship CITY OF ROME are now placed in position, and the engine is being put in its place, and is nearly completed. She will be launched about May 10th.
Monday, April 25, 1881
. . . . .
THE LARGE STEAMSHIP "CITY OF ROME" IS LAUNCHED.
On Saturday the steamship CITY OF ROME was launched from Messrs. T. Quayle Sons' shipyard. The crowd in attendance was very large, and on the neighboring hills were also a goodly number. About 4 o'clock Mr. Thomas Quayle, the senior member of the firm, gave the word, and, with one stroke of an axe, the ropes were severed and the gigantic hulk moved gracefully into the water. She is the largest vessel on the lakes. Her name was given by Mr. H. J. Winslow, on account of his strong liking for the City of Rome, Italy. She drew 4 feet 10 inches forward and 9 feet 1 inch aft, with an average draft of nearly 7 feet. Her rating is A 1*.
of the steamship CITY OF ROME are as follows: Length of keel, 268 feet; over all, 288 feet; beam, 40 feet; hold 21 feet. The two main keelsons are 10 x 16 inches; the two riders, 15 x 16 inches, and the sister keelsons are 10 x 20 inches deep. The bilge at the keel is 12, 9, 8, 7, and 9 inches thick. The ceiling is 6 inches thick. Several of the top strakes are 7 inches thick, and notched on to the frame 1 inch. The lower deck beams are 10 x 10 inches. The iron beams under boiler are 10 inches deep. Of the planking the garboard strakes are 7 inches thick; the next strake to the garboard are 6 inches, and the bottom planking are 5 inches thick. The planking on the bilge is 6, 7, and 6 inches thick, and from the bilge up 5 inches thick. The vessel is diagonally strapped on the frame before the planking is placed on with an iron cord running around with the shear of the vessel, and two large cords in the form of an arch, all fastened to the diagonal strapping, and through bolts driven from outside through the ceiling and strapping.
The vessel will be well supplied with hatches, having eighteen on each deck to facilitate loading and unloading. She has four spars, the forth spar being placed between the engine and boiler to enable her to carry a sail on it. This will enable the vessel to carry a
Large Amount Of Canvas.
She is arranged on the upper deck with cabins forward and aft for officers and crew. The machinery was put in by the Cuyahoga Works. She has two compound engines. The large cylinder is 60 inches in diameter with a 48 inch stroke, and the smaller one 32 inches in diameter, with a 48 inch stroke. She has two boilers 17 x 9 feet in diameter. She is provided with an Emerson steam windlass, besides
All Modern Improvements.
The boat is unusually heavily timbered and fastened, everything being done to make her strong. In the hull is 240 tons of iron. Her capacity is about 85,000 to 90,000 bushels of corn. Her custom house measurement is 1,908 tons. Her wheel is twelve feet in diameter, with a fourteen and a half foot lead. She cost about $125,000, and was built for Messrs. H. J. and R. K. Winslow and others. Captain B. S. Wolvin, who will sail her, owns an interest in her. He has supervised the building of the boat. Her engineer, Mr. William Gregory, has supervised the putting in of the engine and also the pipe work. Mr. Fred La Selle will be her first mate.
She is chartered to carry coal to Chicago. Mr. Thomas Axworthy loads her.
Monday, May 16, 1881
Steam screw CITY OF ROME. U. S. No. 125914. Of 1908 tons gross; 1594 tons net. Built Cleveland, O., 1881. Home port, Sandusky, O. 268.2 x 40.2 x 20.3 Crew of 17. Of 500 indicated horsepower.
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1902