The Steamer RUFUS P. RANNEY Begins her Career.
The steamer RUFUS P. RANNEY was successfully launched from W.H. Radcliffe's ship yard about 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon. The spectators were unusually numerous. When the vessel touched the water the tugs FOREST CITY, FLORENCE and WORSWICK vied with each other for the honor of making the most noise with their whistles. The steamer drew 3 feet 9 inches for, and 9 feet 4 inches aft, with an average draft of nearly 6 feet 7 inches, without her anchors and chains aboard.
are as follows: Length of keel, 248 feet; over all, 265 feet; width of beam,36 feet; and depth of hold,18½ feet. She is masted, and has cabins both fore and aft. The main keelson is 16 inches square; two sister keelsons 12 x 16 inches; two rider keelsons, 14 x 14 inches, and six floor keelsons on each side, from 14 to 10 inches thick. The ceiling is 6 inches thick. The planking is 4½ inches thick all over. The garboard streak is 6 inches thick; next to the garboard, 6 inches; bilge steaks, 5 inches; two fender streaks, 6 inches, and two top side streaks, 5 inches thick. Her lower deck beams are 8 inches deep, and upper deck beams 8 inches deep. She is diagonally iron strapped. One chord running with the shear is 10 x 1 inch, and one of the form of an arch is 10 x 1 inch, to both of which the diagonal strapping is hitched.
was made and furnished by the Globe Iron Works. The engine is compound, with thirty and fifty-six inch cylinders and a forty-eight inch stroke. Her boiler house is of iron. She is built to carry 17,000 tons of iron ore on a draught of fourteen feet.
Messrs. J.W. Grover & Sons furnished the entire outfit.
She was built for Captain Alva Bradley, Mr. G.H. Warrington, Capt. George Stone and Capt. James Stone, and cost about $110,000. She will be officered as follows; Commander, Capt. James Stone, formerly in the SELAH CHAMBERLIN; Mate, Theodore Young; Engineer, Wm. Tyler. She was built under the superintendence of Captain George Stone
June 15, 1881
Steam screw RUFUS P. RANNEY. U.S. No. 110486. Of 1,392.49 tons gross; 1,169.76 tons net. Built at Cleveland, Ohio in 1881. Home port, Cleveland, Ohio. 247.6 x 36.3 x 17.9.2 1,716 Nominal horsepower.
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1891
NOTE:-- Renamed NORTHWESTERN c1896