Register Number: 150
Tons: 188 burthen
When Built: 1864
Where Built: Brockville
Present Master: William Smith
Where she belongs: Kingston
Builders name & date of certificate: Chaffey Bros. Sept. 22, 1864
Description of vessel:-
Length: 110 feet
Breadth: 19 feet & 4/lOths.
Depth of Hold: 10 feet & 9/lOths.
How rigged: Sloop
Square or Round Stern: Round
Standing or Running Bowsprit: None
How Built: Carvel
Decks: One, no galleries
Engine room: 40 feet & 5/IOths.Length,& 92 tons, steam powered.
Subscribing owners:- Chaffey Bros. sole owners sold 43 shares to Archibald Hamilton Campbell of Peterborough, dated Oct. Ist. 1869, on the death of Benjimine Chaffey Campbell obtained the remaining 21 shares, making him sole owner, dated Dec. 4th. 1869
NOTATION Register Cancelled 27th. April 1881
Transferred to Toronto
Length, at Half admidships depth = 104 feet & 8/lOths.
Breadth overall 21 feet & 8/lOths.
Gross Tonnage of Hull 188 & fraction
Tonnage of Engine Room 92 & fraction
Register Tonnage 96 tons.
NOTE The Chaffey Bros. ship-builders comprised of Benjamin, George and William, and there business was carried on under the name of George Chaffey & Bros,
Port of Kingston Register
National Archives, Ottawa
. . . . .
The Opening Of navigation At Collingwood On Georgian Bay.
The wrecking tug WALES, dismantled and boilerless, also lay at the wharf, workmen being busy in altering her to a barge. She was brought thither from Kingston, and during the troubles of 1866 she was armed and did service as a gun boat on the upper lakes.
The Evening News, Toronto
Thursday, May 6, 1881
. . . . .
NOTE:-- The above vessel was the first tug WALES, the second WALES was built in 1881 at Sarnia, and owned by the Muskoka Mills Lumber Co., later sold to Hackett at Amherstburg, in 1892 for wrecking.
A hull lying in the area of Muskoka Mills, measured exactly as that of the WALES ?