LAUNCHED. In this River, today, at 1 o'clock a fine new Schooner built by a Company - James Lockhart Esq. of this Town, Agent. Length of the keel 75 feet- beam 22, and the depth of hold 8 feet. She glided beautifully into her destined element, and was christened by miss Louisa Fisher, of Montreal, and received the name of PRINCESS VICTORIA, the presumptive heiress to the British throne. A very handsome figurehead on the bow, it is said, resembles very much the young Princess. She was taken into the Dock to be rigged being the first vessel that has entered this work. She is nearly rigged and will be ready to go in a week, manned with experienced seamen - and is no doubt the finest model on the lake. The Same Company purpose building two more, nearly of the same dimensions. The PRINCESS was built under the superintendence of Mr. Wood, Architect, favourably known as builder of some of the New York Packets, and the William 4th on this lake &c. This vessel will admit of being pierced for port holes, and calculated to carry 20 guns, if found expedient.
At the same yard another vessel will shortly be completed of similar dimensions, the property of Alexander McDonnell, Esq. - Mr Barber, is superintendant and master carpenter of the work.
Sept. 21st 1833
. . . . .
Name PRINCESS VICTORIA Register Number- 5
When Built -
Where Built -
Builders name & date of certificate:-
Description of vessel:- Surveyor, J.W. Taylor,
Length 80 feet
Breadth I9 feet & five tenths
Depth of hold 7 feet & eight tenths
Figure-head with figure-head
Rigged Schooner. Carvel built
Subscribing owners:- M.W. & E. Browne of Hamilton, forwarders, owns all 64 shares, sold all 64 shares to Thomas Rae, of Hamilton, dated April 28, 1854.
Registers remarks :- Gone.
Port of Hamilton, Shipping Register, 1846 to 1874, Vol.362
National Archives, Canada Microfilm reel C-2465
. . . . .
Brig PRINCESS VICTORIA. [c] Of 198 tons. Built 1838 at Niagara. Owned by John Rae. Value, $2,000.
List of Canadian Vessels, 1856
Toronto Globe, August 4, 1856
. . . . .
Schooner HOPE. Of 200 tons. Built Hamilton 1863 by Robinson. Owned by Edward Zealand. Home port, Hamilton. REMARKS : - Built on bottom of PRINCESS VICTORIA.
Lake Underwriters Register, 1864