Mr. F. H. Clergue, whose water power enterprises and iron mines in and around Sault Ste. Marie. Ont., have attracted a great deal of attention, has placed an order with the Collingwood Ship Building Co., Ltd., of Collingwood, Ont., for a steel barge of about 6,500 tons capacity. The barge will be of the kind that have of late been quite numerous in the ore trade on the lakes and will tow between Michipicoten ore mines and Lake Erie ports when she comes out next spring with one of the steamers which Mr. Clergue brought to the lakes from England some time ago. Dimensions of the vessel are 390 ft. keel, 46 ft. beam and 26 ft. depth. The Collingwood yard, which was fitted up for steel ship building only a short time ago, has now well along towards the launching stage the steel passenger steamer for the Beatty line of Sarnia, Ont., which is to trade between Sarnia, Fort William and Duluth. This vessel, which is 308 ft. long, 43 ft. beam and 27 ft. depth, will be of high power and in all respects suited to first-class passenger service. She will be named HURONICA. [HURONIC]
July 18, 1901
The Collingwood Ship Building Co:, Collingwood, Ont., is going to make a gala occasion-out of the launching of the HURONIC, the first steel steamer to be constructed in the Dominion. The HURONIC will be launched at 1 p. m., Sept. 12, and a special train will convey the guests to Collingwood from Toronto. The HURONIC is a passenger and freight steamer of 3,200 tons capacity and is being built for the North West Transportation Co., Ltd. Immediately after the launch the keel of a 7,000-ton steel tow barge for the Clergue interests will be laid.
August 29, 1901
LAUNCH OF STEAMER HURONIC.
The steamer HURONIC, the largest fresh water vessel ever built in Canada, was successfully launched at the yards of the Collingwood Ship Building Co., Collingwood, Ont., last Thursday. A special train from Toronto carried a number of distinguished visitors to Collingwood to witness the ceremony. The vessel was christened by Miss Long, the daughter of President John Long of the ship building company. The HURONIC is a passenger and package freight steel screw steamer and is building for the North West Transportation Co. of Sarnia, from designs by Hugh Calderwood, manager of the ship building company. She is constructed of open hearth steel throughout and is of the following dimensions: Length over all, 325 ft., between perpendiculars, 308 ft., beam, 43 ft. molded depth, 27 ft. She will have accommodations for 200 saloon passengers and a large number of steerage passengers. A feature of the design which will be appreciated by the traveling public is the dining room, which is placed athwartships and extends the full width of the lower cabin, being 52 ft. long and 32 ft. wide. It is finished in quarter-sawed white oak. The smoking room, also finished in white oak, is at the extreme after end of the upper cabin. The vessel is equipped with two tiers of cabins, one above the other, with a shade deck extending fore and aft. Deck room is provided for 700 tons of package freight and the lower hold is divided into five compartments of a combined capacity for 80,000 bushels of wheat. The propelling machinery was built by Messrs. John Inglis & Sons, Toronto, from designs by their superintendent, Mr. James C. Smith, late of Chicago and West Superior. The machinery consists of a vertical triple-expansion engine with cylinders 26, 42 and 70 in. in diameter by 42 in. stroke. Steam is supplied by four Scotch boilers, 12 ft. 6 in in diameter by 12 ft. long. The steamer is designed for a speed of 15 1/2 miles loaded. She is being built under the inspection of Capt. F. D. Herriman -and will be given the highest rating for a vessel of her: class by the Bureau Veritas and the Great Lakes Register.
September 19, 1901
Steam screw HURONIC. Official Canada No. 107168. Of 3330 gross tons; 2211 tons reg. Built Collingwood, Ont., 1902. Home port, Collingwood, Ont. 321.0 x 43.0 x 23.4 Owned by Northern Navigation Company of Ontario, Collingwood.
List of Vessels on the Registry Books of the
Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1905