New Schooner Built by an Oswego Man.
The new schooner John R. Noyes, arrived here this morning on her maiden trip from the upper lakes. She was built recently at Algonac, Mich., by James Navagh of this city and is a staunch, trim craft. She is owned by Mitchell Bros, and is commanded by Captain John Connors, as bold and intrepid a young sailor as sails on the lakes. Mr. Navagh is soon to build a large steam barge at Algonac for Detroit parties.
Oswego Commercial Advertiser
Monday Aug. 26, 1872
Arrival of the New Schooner JOHN R. NOYES.
The new schooner JOHN R. NOYES, built at Algonac by Mr. James Navagh, of this city, for Messrs. E. & O. Mitchell, arrived this morning laden with 18,000 bushels of wheat, from Detroit, for Ames, Hastings & CO., on her maiden trip. Soon after landing the new vessel was boarded by mechanics, sailors, wheat shovelers and marine architecture critics, each with an eye to business and an opinion of how the vessel should look. To say that the new vessel stood the test would be but an expression of all present. The NOYES is without doubt one of the handsomest schooners that has ever entered the harbor of Oswego. She is sharp forward, a clean run aft, a good shear, and docks well crowned, and if she does not make it a stern chase for our fast ones it is not the fault of the builder. Her spars is the theme of admiration being clear, symmetrical and well stepped, and will stand spread of canvass enough to drive the Great Eastern. The cabin is large and airy, with all the modern improvements and is furnished in good taste.
The following are dimensions of the new vessel: Length 142 feet. Beam 26 feet 2 in., depth of hold 11 feet 6 Inches; and measures 334 tons Custom House measurement.
Although she is down to Welland Canal marks in draft of water, the load she has in her is no criterion, as she is cumbered with extra anchors, chains, capstan and wenches and other traps from the shipyard, and her hold is not
full. She has the raised deck (becoming so popular) extending from the stern to forward of the main hatch.
The commander Captain John Connor, formerly of the MOLLISON is a pusher who allows no sea weed to gather on his schooner's bottom, but keeps it clean by friction. He will speed her with the smartest.
We wish the NOYES spanking free winds and twenty cents freights, if not better on her down cargoes.
August 26, 1872
Schooner JOHN R. NOYES. U. S. No. 75434. Of 315 gross tons; 299 tons net. Built Algonac, Mich., 1872. Home port, Oswego, N.Y. 136.3 x 26.2 x 11.4
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1902