By George Wharton
This smaller size straight deck bulk carrier was built as hull #187 by Collingwood Shipyards Ltd., Collingwood, ON. The vessel was launched as the Mantadoc (2) on November 23, 1966 for the N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. fleet of Thunder Bay, ON. This vessel’s construction was ordered as a result of a need to replace Paterson’s old, small bulk carriers and to augment the fleet’s capacity. The Mantadoc is powered by 4 Fairbanks Morse model 8-38D8-1/8 8 cylinder diesel engines rated at a total of 5,332 b.h.p. Burning marine diesel oil, the power is fed through a gear reduction box to a single controllable pitch KaMeWa propeller giving the vessel a maximum service speed of 16.1 m.p.h. The vessel’s 18 hatches feed 6 holds where she is capable of carrying 17,650 tons at mid summer draft of 26’ ½” and displaces 4,527 tons lightweight. Other capacities include 320.6 tons of diesel oil of which she used approximately 9.85 tons each day; 6,567.5 tons of ballast water, and 60 tons of potable water. The Mantadoc is equipped with 3 Caterpillar diesel generators rated at a total of 780 h.p. and a 500 h.p. KaMeWa bow thruster.
The Mantadoc was named after the Province of Manitoba (“Manta”) which is the provincial location of Paterson’s corporate head office in Winnipeg, MB. In keeping with Paterson’s fleet suffix policy of ending most of their vessel names with “doc” meaning “Dominion of Canada”; the Mantadoc thusly derived its name. N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. is a major grain elevator operator in Canada with many of its operations in Manitoba. Through its Marine Division, N. M. Paterson & Sons have been operating vessels on the Great Lakes since 1915 when its first small vessel, the 1874 built D.R. Van Allen was purchased.
The Mantadoc entered service in 1967 on her maiden voyage with a load of grain for a St. Lawrence River port passing through the Welland Canal on April 15, 1967. On November 10, 1968; the Mantadoc was in collision with the French vessel Francois L.D. in the St. Lawrence Seaway between the Beauharnois Lock and Lake St. Francis. She received extensive port bow damage requiring her to proceed to Davie Shipbuilding, Lauzon, PQ for immediate repair. With this exception, the Mantadoc’s career on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway has been relatively uneventful.
Even though she was limited by today’s standards by her size, the Mantadoc has continued to fit out each navigation season since her launch. Her smaller size has allowed her access to smaller ports that would by difficult, if not impossible, for her larger fleet mates to service. Over her career, the vessel has carried millions of tons of grain and iron ore. Other cargoes have included bauxite, coke, pig iron, and raw sugar. There were no set trade routes for the Mantadoc and the vessel was often seen transiting the Welland Canal. On December 7, 2001; the Mantadoc departed Thunder Bay, ON with her final load of the 2001 season and what would prove to be her final load under the Paterson banner. The load consisted of 15,766 tons (16,019 metric tonnes) of wheat destine for Montreal. She arrived at her destination port December 12, 2001 after passing through the Welland Canal on December 10.
On March 21, 2002; N. M. Paterson & Sons sold its 3 remaining operating vessels to Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal, QC thus closing its Marine Division. The Mantadoc was renamed Teakglen following CSL’s policy of naming the suffix of their bulk fleet in tribute to Tree Line Navigation Co. Ltd., purchased by CSL in 1937 (“Teak”); and the prefix “glen” in tribute to Great Lakes Shipping Company, purchased by CSL in 1926; whose vessel names included Gleneagles and Glenelg. The Teakglen’s only voyage for CSL was scheduled to begin in late September when she was due to sail from Montreal to Quebec City to take a load of grain to Goderich, ON.
The Teakglen was acquired from CSL in the early fall of 2002 by Goderich Elevators Ltd., Goderich, ON for use as a storage barge with the Willowglen which last operated December 21, 1992. The Teakglen departed Montreal on September 29, 2002 to load wheat in Quebec City for Goderich. She made a one way trip up the Seaway arriving in Goderich on October 5. The vessel will remain in long term lay up at Goderich as a grain storage barge.
Capacity (tons) 17,650
Diesel engines horsepower (combined) 5,300