" Mr. Grant was given permission to build a small fleet of schooners and sloops to be employed in transporting merchandise over the lakes. Two of these were built at The River Rouge and named the HOPE and FAITH, while the third, and largest, built near Fort Niagara, for the navigation of lake Ontario, was named CHARITY. A small sloop, named the ANGELICA, was also built at the River Rouge and, with the sloop CHIPPEWA, was owned by Grant, who, at the same time, had been entrusted by General Gage "with the direction of all the vessels upon the several lakes."
Memorials of Fort Erie and Early Navigation of Lake Erie
by Colonel Cruckshank p13.
The Commerce of the Lakes now and One Hundred Years Ago.
From the Buffalo Express.
There were during the season of 1766, four vessels upon Lake Erie, viz: The GLADWIN, LADY CHARLOTTE, VICTORY, and BOSTON. The two latter laid up in the fall near Navy Island, and one of them was burned accidentally Nov. 30th.
During the year 1767, the BRUNSWICK, Capt. Alexander Grant, made her appearance on the lakes. John Brown, Captain of the 2nd Battalion of Royal Americans, was in command at Niagara; Capt. Soyer, Engineer; Neil McLean, Commissary of Stores and Provisions; and Edward Pollard, Sutler.
1768 -The Hudson River opened March 7th. April 26th, Sir William Johnson visits New England for his health. In June, Major Rogers, becoming embarrassed financially, endeavored to settle his accounts by cutting off the garrison at Mackinac, and carry the guns of that fort against Detroit, and then join Hopkins in the Mississippi, but was arrested and sent in irons to be tried at Ontario.
In October, Mr. Ellice returned from Detroit to Schenectady with 150 packs of furs. Dec. 5th, the harbors on Lake Ontario were closed by ice, and the stores destined for Fort Niagara were detained at Ontario.
1769 - Henry White, of New York, who had control of the King's vessels on Lake Erie, writes to Captain Grant, who was then the commodore on the lake, requesting him to give Mr. Campbell's freight preference. Thereupon, Phyn & Ellice, of Schenectady, and Sterling & Porteous, of Detroit, commence building a vessel at Detroit. This vessel was built by contract with Mr. Tyms, of New York. Richard Cornwall, of New York, was the carpenter, Gregg, Cunningham & Co. furnished the rigging. Col. Stevenson, in command at Niagara, helps forward the stores of this new vessel, which was named the ENTERPRISE.
The boatmen that went with the rigging and stores from Schenectady to Detroit were to have each £20 and ten gallons of rum. They were seventy days on Lake Erie, and two of the number perished from hunger, and their bodies kept for days exposed to decoy eagles and ravens. They returned to New York, February 12th, 1770, by the way of Fort Pitt, now Pittsburg.
In May, 1770, the Charity was launched at Niagara. Upon Lake Erie were the GLADWIN, LADY CHARLOTTE, BRUNSWICK, and MUSKANUNGEE.
This year, the Duke of Gloucester, Secretary Townsend, Samuel Tutchet, Henry Baxter, -?- Cruickshank, Sir Wm. Johnson, -?- Bostwick, and Alexander Henry, formed a Company for mining copper ore on Lake Superior. In December, they built, near Sault de Sainte Marie, a barge, and laid the keel of a sloop of forty tons. The Shipyard was at Point aux Pins, three leagues from the Sault
Goderich Signal, Semi Weekly
Friday, January 1, 1864