The CHIPPEWA made two round trips to Fort Erie before July21, when she was fully armed and went to Miami bay, where she was stationed until the end of August. The two gunboats, one of which was named BRAZEN and the other the MIAMI, were armed and ready for service by May 19, when they were reported "look very smart and sail and work well" but no seamen were enlisted to man them. Ten days later one of them was sent on a trial trip to Miami Bay. Both were sunsequently fully manned and stationed at Turtrle Island, patrolling the River from time to time as far as Fort Miami at the Rapids.
1791:-- Two sloops, each of about 40 tons burden, named the BEAVER and INDUSTRY had been added to the small fleet of merchant ships, built for the navigation of lakes Erie and Huron, and the Association of Montreal merchants, known as the North West Company, sent John Richardson, one of their numbers to supervise the construction at Detroit of a larger and notably well built schooner, which was named the NANCY.
Memorials of Fort Erie and Early Navigation of Lake Erie
by Colonel Cruckshank p. 88.