In 1797, Lorenzo Carter arrived at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River. He built a cabin north of the present St. Claie Avenue, not far from the river, and hence became one of the founders of the City of Cleveland.
In 1803 he built a second cabin on Union, near Lower Superior. Cleveland at this time was a remote settlement and entirely dependent upon Buffalo for such commodities as salt, iron, leather, and dry goods. !n 1807, Mr. Carter began construction on a thirty ton schooner, the ZEPHYR, to supply this need. He procured the irons for the rudder of his vessel from the remains of the British schooner BEAVER which was stranded at the mouth of the river in the fall of 1786. The ZEPHYR was launched the following year  under the command of captain Stove. She was of a rude flat-bottom design, and was built on a hill overlooking the river. Thus she had to be dragged to her intended element.
From " Adz, Caulk, and Rivets"
a History of Shipbuilding Along Ohio's Northern Shore.
By Richard J. Wright