TUG CHARLES W. WEST.
Saugatuck, Mich., April 23. -- The new tug owned by Coates & Arnold, and built by James Elliott at this port during the past winter, was successfully launched this afternoon. She will be used by Coates & Arnold at Mackinac, in their extensive fishing there. She is named the CHARLES W. WEST, for the well known Chicago fish dealer of that name, and is of the following dimensions:
Length of keel, 77 feet; overall, 88 feet; breadth of beam, 18½ feet; depth of hold, 7½ feet; engine, 15 inch diameter, 17 inch stroke; boiler-shell, 10 feet long, and diameter six and one half feet. The engine and boiler were built by Sutton, of Buffalo, N.Y. The WEST is built for speed and is very finely modeled. She will be commanded by Captain L.B. Coats, one of the owners, and will probably be in Chicago inside of ten days before going north. --- Inter Ocean.
J.W. Hall Great lakes Marine Scrapbook, April, 1883
Steam screw CHARLES WEST. U.S. No. 126115. Of 45.13 tons gross; 23.47 tons net. Built at Saugatuck, Mich., in 1883. Home port, Saugatuck, Mich. 74.0 x 19.0 x 7.6 Of 15 indicated horse power.
Merchant Vessel List, U.S., 1885