S. Robinson (Schooner), U22347, 1 Oct 1853
- Full Text
A NEW SCHOONER:-- In the Cleveland Plain Dealer we fins the annexed description of another addition to the family of our Lake Marine. The increase of new vessels was never so great as at the present time. "The beautiful fore-and-aft schooner, S. ROBINSON, which has just dropped from the new and rising ship yard of Messrs. Laffrineer & Stevenson, is a model of naval architecture, and attracts very general attention. She was ordered only two months since by our enterprising friends Messrs. Handy, Warner & Co., for the Cleveland and Oswego trade.
The grace with which she sits upon her willing element, the massive, iron-ribbed strength so apparent in all her parts, the beautiful finish that so richly garnishes her exterior, no less than the almost incredible promptitude with which she was produced, reflects great credit upon the skill and energy of her makers.
She has a capacity for 14,000 bushels, for the Welland Canal, and has a Custom House measurement of three hundred and twelve tons. She draws only 3 1/2 feet of water. Her length of deck is 127 feet; breadth of beam 25 1/2 feet; depth of hold 12 feet. With her unequalled model and strength of rigging, if she does not prove to be one of the fleetest of our merchant marine we are greatly mistaken.
Capt. W. Buffington is in command, as good an officer as ever trod a quarter deck, and as able a seaman as ever battled with the elements.
She leaves in a day or two and all who tread her strong timbers, and view her majestic proportion, must look with confidence for a successful, a triumphant career, for the beautiful fore-and-after.
Buffalo Daily Courier
October 13, 1853
The beautiful fore-and-aft schooner S. ROBINSON, owned by Handy, Warner & Co., running between this port and Chicago, outrode the gale last week on the upper lakes gallantly. She made the passage in her regular time and arrived safely at Chicago on Friday evening. She passed several wrecks on her way up, and saw several vessels that were driven ashore. She is a noble craft and one of the strongest, neatest and fastest on the Lakes.
Cleveland Daily Forest City Democrat
Saturday, December 3, 1853
NAME: S. ROBINSON
OFFICIAL NO: 22347
GROSS: 235.79 (Pre-list; 1869; 1870; 1871; 1872; 1873; 1875)
HOME PORT: Chicago, IL (Pre-list; 1869; 1870; 1871; 1872; 1873; 1875)
YEARS LISTED: Pre-list; 1869; 1870; 1871; 1872; 1873; 1875.
NOTES: The official number is listed as "23347" in 1870,
1871, 1872 and 1873. Listed as lost in 1875.
Schooner S. ROBINSON. Of Cleveland. Of 312.29 tons. Built Ohio City, Ohio in 1853 by Laffrinier & Stevenson. Owned by Ralph H. Harmon. Captained by Wm. Buffington. two masts. square stern. scroll head. 127.8 x 25.7 x 10.4
Builders certificate 92 of 1853
Issued at Cleveland, Ohio 10/04/1853
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- new vessel, Cleveland
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes