The Ship Yard.--We understand that Mr. Parkins, has launched from his Ship Yard in this place since the breaking up of the ice on the St. Lawrence, 4 Barges, capable of conveying 700 Barrels of Flour each. Mr. Parkins has on the stocks, and nearly completed, 2 other Barges for Messrs. H. & S. Jones, capable of containing 400 Barrels of Flour each; also a Steamboat, for the same firm, of 30 Horse Power, to run down the St. Lawrence as far as Lachine, and up the Rideau to Kingston; it is expected that she will make the circuit of this Island in a week, via, the Rideau between Lachine and Kingston, with five Barges in tow in five days, and down the St. Lawrence from Kingston to Lachine in two. This boat is to be called the "St. DAVID." Mr. P. Has another Steam boat under way for Messrs. Sanderson and Murray, this boat is to be confined to the Rideau; she is 109 feet long; and to be propelled by two Engines of 16 Horse Power each. In addition to the above, built during the past season at Parkin" Ship Yard, was a large three masted Schooner, of 109 feet in length called the "ALLIGATOR," destined for the Lake Trade.
It is the intention of Messrs. Sanderson & Murray to have two of their Barges fitted out immediately so as to receive Ericson's propeller. Should this experiment succeed, of which there appears to be no doubt, much time, trouble and money will be saved in the forwarding via the Lachine, Ottawa & Rideau Canals. ---- Brockville Statesman.
Western Herald, (Sandwich, UC),
Wednesday, May 5, 1841