Churchill (Propeller), C61153, 22 Jul 1913
- Full Text
The Last of the Old BAYFIELD.
The Steamer CHURCHILL formerly the Government survey steamer Bayfield has been converted into a tow barge. The boat which is owned by the John Harrison & Sons Co has been dismantled during the past few weeks. The upper works have been removed and the boilers have been taken out. The engine was removed several years ago when the company built the new tug HARRISON. The vessel is now being loaded with a cargo for her first trip as a barge. The BAYFIELD was an old and familiar figure in Owen Sound and other Georgian Bay harbours, and she was for
years used by the Government in the survey work on the Georgian Bay and Lake Superior. On becoming inadequate for this work she was sold to the Harrison firm and was used as a towing tug for several seasons, until replaced by the fine new tug HARRISON.
Owen Sound Sun
July 22, 1913 [ courtesy of Bill Hester]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- becoming a tow barge
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes