The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Queen City (Barge), aground, 16 Aug 1863

Full Text

Barge QUEEN CITY, broke adrift from her Tug off Point Aux Barques and was wrecked. Total loss.
      Buffalo Commercial Advertiser
      Wednesday, January 20, 1864

      . . . . .

      LOST. - The hull of the old steamer QUEEN CITY, which has been used as a lighter in Saginaw River the present season by J.S. Noyes & Co., for their barges, has met her final doom.
      On Sunday night, the 16th inst., while off Point au Barques, in tow of the tug EAGLE, Capt. Boynton, in a heavy stress of weather, sprung a leak and soon after filled. The power of the tug being insufficient to proceed with her in that condition, cut her adrift, and in the most inhuman manner, left the crew of seven men to the mercy of the waves. A kind Providence enabled them to reach the shore in safety after much suffering and hardship. The crew and much valuable material could have been taken off by the tug, but the want of feeling and care for others, usual in such cases, not being manifested by the officers of the tug, allowed her to go ashore with all on board. The vessel is a total wreck, but the action of Capt. Boynton will be remembered by all vessel men. -
Detroit Free Press.
      Buffalo Daily Courier
      Friday, August 21, 1863

      . . . . .

      ANOTHER RELIC GONE. - The barge QUEEN CITY, which was wrecked a few nights since near Point Aux Barque, Lake Huron, was the last of what was formerly known as "Reed's Line" of steamers, which for several years plied between this city and Chicago, and in her day was considered on of the finest side-wheel passenger boats afloat on the inland waters. She was built by Bidwell & Banta, of Buffalo, for Charles M. Reed, of Erie, Pennsylvania, in 1847, and was 866 tons burthen. She was propelled by a low powered cross head engine, formerly used in the steamer BUFFALO, belonging to the same line, and was at the time one of the finest on the lakes.
      She was of ordinary speed, which probably did not exceed twelve miles an hour. She was first commanded by Capt. T.J. Titus, who, a few years since, lost his life in Lake Michigan, by being drowned from a small boat while in command of a propeller.
      The QUEEN CITY, after being dismantled, was purchased some two years since by Captain Robash, who afterwards sold her to J.S. Noyes & Co., of this city, her late owners. Shortly after their purchase of the QUEEN CITY, she was taken to Saginaw and there used as a lighter to cobvey lumber over the bar at the mouth of Saginaw River, to load the barges SULTANA, EMPIRE, etc. A short time since, owing to the pressure of business, the QUEEN CITY was loaded for this port, and made two or three trips when she was wrecked as above stated. Her last trip, we believe, was to Toledo. At the time of her loss she was in tow of the tug EAGLE, from which she broke adrift during a severe storm. Her consort, the KEY STONE STATE, one of the same line, it will be remembered, ended her day two years ago, with the loss of all hands, not far distant from the same locality where the QUEEN CITY was wrecked.
      Buffalo Daily Courier
      Monday, August 24, 1863

      . . . . .

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: aground
Lives: nil
Hull damage: $2,000
Remarks: Total loss
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Queen City (Barge), aground, 16 Aug 1863