Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), 25 Jun, 1870
- Full Text
THE PROPELLER P. H. BIRKHEAD. - We noticed a few days ago the arrival at Toledo of the propeller Birkhead with an immense tow. She left Saginaw with nine barges, having an aggregate load of 2,800,000 feet of lumber. Since noticing the above the Birkhead has passed here with nine barges and two other vessel, making eleven vessel in one tow.
The Birkhead was built by Mr. P. Lester, of Marine City, for a Toledo and Saginaw company. She is 165 feet long, 28 feet beam, and 15 feet deep in the hold, built of the best material and securely fastened to withstand the strain of her powerful machinery. Her engines are double vertical, both connected to one shaft, and built by J B Wilson, of this place. The boilers, two in number, 14½ feet long and 6 feet, 10 inches in diameter, return flues, were manufactured by John Brennan, of this place. The engines an boilers were constructed almost entirely of Lake Superior iron, and so well arranged and adapted to their parts, that she left on her trial trip for her regular route without requiring a change or alteration of a single nut or bolt. The Birkhead was not designed for speed, but her owners believe that for either speed or power she will equal anything of her class afloat.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Note this vessel's unusual engine arrangement, with two compound engines running a single shaft.
- Date of Original:
- 25 Jun, 1870
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Dave Swayze
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes