Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), 1 Dec, 1870
- Full Text
PORTAGE LAKE SHIP CANAL. - We have already announced the completion of the Portage Lake Ship Canal. Steamers bound up Lake Superior, stopping at Houghton and Hancock, have heretofore been obliged to go to the entry on the east side of Keweenaw Point, and run up the inlet fifteen miles to these villages; then return to the lake and proceed northward some sixty or seventy miles, round the point, then south again along the west side to Ontonagon. With the canal completed, ships that do not touch at Eagle River, Eagle Harbor or Copper Harbor, at the extremity of the point, can go westward through the canal to the lake, cutting off 130 to 150 miles of dangerous navigation.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Here is another example of the many important improvements to navigation that were first built in the 1860's and 70's and are still in use today.
- Date of Original:
- 1 Dec, 1870
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Dave Swayze
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes