Schooner Delos DeWolf
Sunk in Sandusky Harbor - Built in Oswego Forty-Three Years Ago.
Sandusky, June 1. - The schooner Delos DeWolf, coal laden, was wrecked in the heavy squall last night. The tug Peerless sighted her off this port drifting helplessly, and towed her into port. When the Baltimore & Ohio dock was reached the schooner sank to the bottom. The crew had previously been taken off by the tug in safety.
The DeWolf was built in this city in 1856 by the late John Lee and Peter Lamoree, on the ground where now stands the Diamond Match factory, at that time a swamp. It was built for Latham, Tozer & Perry, Mr. George Goble says. The late Hiram Perry was a member of the firm and a relative of Mr. DeWolf, hence the name. In 1863 she was sold to John Joyce and M.J. Cummings and that Fall Mr. Joyce became sole owner and took her to the Welland Canal to have her rebuilt. When she returned to the American ports the Government imposed a duty of over $25,000 on the repairs.
Captain Joyce sold the DeWolf to Robert Green and Captain Litz and in the early seventies she was sold to western parties, taken to Cleveland, lengthened and made wider and was used in the lumber trade.
Considerable trouble was experienced in launching the vessel in 1856. It was three days before she was finally gotten into the water and then she was pulled from the ways by the propeller St. Nicholas, Captain William Williams. Captain Samuel Williams was the first master of the DeWolf. She is among the last of the old canal vessels that at one time were the pride of Oswego's shipping.
A peculiarity in the construction of the DeWolf was a leak that could not be located and which was the source of constant annoyance to master and crew, the latter being compelled to work the pumps constantly to keep her free.