CLEMSON, D.M. Propeller. U. S. No. 157703. Built 1903, of 5,531 Gross Tons. Sailed from Lorain, Ohio on Nov. 28, 1908 for Duluth, Lake Superior and was last reported on Dec.1, 1908 near Whitefish Point, Lake Superior, with 24 persons on board. vessel and crew lost, supposed sunk in Lake Superior. ?
Loss of U. S. Vessels Reported in
Fiscal Year 1909. M.V.U.S., 1909
. . . . .
LAKE STEAMER IS MISSING
Nothing Heard From the CLEMSON Since she Passed the Soo A Week Ago on Last Trip.
Duluth, Minn., Dec. 7. -- One week has passed without news since the steamer D. M. CLEMSON, owned by A. B. Wolvin of Duluth, passed the Soo bound up from Loraine, O., on her last trip of the year. It is feared that the vessel foundered in the terrific storm that raged at the lower end of lake Superior early in the week, or is stranded somewhere on the north coast. In either event, the entire crew of 24 men, including officers, may have perished. The Wolvin Seamanship Company has started out tugs on a thorough patrol of the entire north shore from Port Arthur to the Soo, and from the Soo to Isle Royale. Every fishing vessel is being questioned.
The steamer CLEMSON is a first class bulk carrier, built in Superior in 1903. Her gross tonnage is 5531. She is 440 feet long, and has a 52 feet beam, and is 30 feet deep.
R. S. Chamberlain of Duluth is captain of the vessel; W. D. McLeod is Mate and J. J. McCoy, Chief Engineer. All of the officers and most of the crew are from Duluth.
Roy M. Wolvin of the Providence Company, which operates the CLEMSON, still entertains hope of the ship's safety and says he will not despair until her fate is decided by a patrol of the entire lake.
Buffalo Evening News
December 7, 1908
. . . . . .
Duluth, Minn., Dec. 9. -- There is little doubt that the steamer D. M. CLEMSON went down with all hands near White Fish Point. Twenty three hatch covers have been washed ashore and their description convinces the Provident Steamship Company that they belong to the missing boat. A parrot; of the shore where the wreckage is coming in is now maintained and a tug has been ordered to the spot.
The Provident Steamship Company has given out a list of the following who made up the crew:
Master, S. R. Chamberlain, Duluth; First Mate, W. E. McLeod, Duluth; Second Mate, Charles Woods; Chief Engineer, J. J. McCoy, Duluth; Assistant Engineer, Lee Cunningham, Toledo and Guy Webb, Duluth; oilers, William Hunt, Duluth and Peter Larson; Steward, Bert Balfour, Marine City, Mich.; assistant steward, Steve Voliman, Marine City; porter, Hillmar Anderson; watchmen, Cyrus Dunn, Rufas Simson; D. L. Loftus, Regan Hansen, Martin Hansen; firemen, Bernard Murphy, Duluth; Fred Lenyon, George Welsh and A. L. Preston; deckhands, James Driscoll and Fred Carney of Buffalo and Harry price, W. N. Battishill and M. Andrews.
Two of the five deckhands left the boat at Lorain and were replaced by Art Burkhart and James Gratton, both of Lorain. It is not known which of the deckhands left to boat.
Buffalo Evening News
December 9, 1908
D.M. CLEMSON. Built July 3, 1903 Bulk propeller - Steel
U. S. No. 167703 5531 gt - 3991 nt 468.0 x 42.0 x 28.0
Foundered, possibly off Crisp Point, on Lake Superior, c. December 5, 1908; all hands  lost.
American Barge Co., Superior, Wis., Master Shipbuilding List
Institute for Great Lakes Research