TO MAKE ATTEMPT TO PULL OFF MILLS.
Underwriters Refuse to Accept Boat and Will Try to Release Her.
D.H. Filson, Of Smith Bros., representing the underwriters, who hold policies on the steamer David W. Mills, arrived in the city yesterday and is preparing to take steps to release the steamer. Although Captain Peterson, the owner, offered her to the underwriters, they have refused to accept her. She is insured for $30,000 and if released will be turned back to Captain Peterson.
Yesterday John Donnelly, of the Donnelly Wrecking Company, Kingston, was here and Mr. Filson is expecting Captain Le Beau tonight or tomorrow. They will both submit bids. It is Mr. Donnelly's plan to fasten the wrecking tackle on the shore and pull the boat over the shoal to the channel inside.
Although her seacocks are open and she is partly full of water the Northeast wind Saturday night shook her up badly and caused Patrick Clancy and George Arcand, the watchmen to come ashore. They made the trip in a small boat and had a difficult time making a landing. However, they reached shore with nothing more than a wetting, after one of the men swam ashore to lighten the load, after shallow water was reached. They spent the night at the Evans farmhouse and went back to the boat yesterday.