The captain of the steamer SAULT STE. MARIE reports that the Schooner DOT, in tow of the steambarge M.M. DRAKE, ore laden, from Marquette, sprung a leak off Grand Marais, Lake Superior, and was abandoned by the crew, who went aboard the DRAKE. Her bulwarks and some of her spars were gone. She went down shortly after in deep water. The DOT was built at St. Catharines, Canada, in 1865, measured 300 tons, and was owned by A.C. Smith of Detroit and her master Captain Jones. She rates B 1 and was valued at $7,000. - Cheboygan Report.
Aug. 30, 1883
. . . . .
THE DOT GOES DOWN.
Ore Laden -- The Crew Saved.
Intelligence was received in Chicago yesterday that the American schooner DOT, formerly the Canadian schooner MARY MERRITT, foundered on Lake Superior on Saturday or Sunday. She had a cargo of iron ore. The crew was all saved by some steamer. The DOT measured 300 tons. She was built at St. Catharines, Canada, in 1865, and was owned by A.C. Smith, of Detroit, and her master, Captain Jones. She rated B 1 and was valued at 7,000. There is some insurance, but what amount is not ascertained. The iron ore cargo was also insured.
J.W. Hall Great lakes marine Scrapbook, August, 1883
. . . . .
The schooner Dot, lost on Lake Superior a few days ago, had a rather checquered career. She was at first a Canadian schooner, but was wrecked on Lake Superior while loading timber. Capt. S. B. Grummond released her and brought her here, where, after lying idle for some time, she was sold by the United States marshal to satisfy wrecking charges. She was purchased by Capt. W. Jones and others of Cleveland, but after the purchase had been made, the Canadian authorities would not give her the necessary papers, as none of her owners were Canadians. This forced the schooner to put in most of a summer lying at a wharf, but finally she was admitted of citizenship and given an American register. Her name was formerly Mary Merritt, but when she became an American vessel she was christened "Dot," which was the name of a young lady in this city who earns her livelihood by playing gentle solo on a typewriter in a lawyer's office. The boat was built at St. Catharines in 1865 by L. Shickluna, and measured 300 tons. Her port of hail was Detroit, and she was commanded by Capt. A. C. Smith, who was part owner. She rated B1, and is valued in Lloyd's register at $5,000. Vesselmen arriving from Lake Superior state that she has gone down in deep water, and will never cause any trouble to wreckers.
Detroit Post and Tribune
August 28, 1883