STEAMER "EASTNOR" BURNS AT DOCK AT WIARTON EARLY SATURDAY A.M.
Formerly the PEDWELL--One of the Oldest Boats on the Bay
Wiarton, Nov. 18.---The steamer EASTNOR, owned by Mr.John Tackaberry, of Lion's
head, was destroyed by fire at the fish dock here at an early hour on Saturday morning, and while she was not burned to the water's edge, her upper works are badly gutted, and there is not a great deal left of the steamer which can be salvaged outside of her machinery and her hull.
The fire was discovered shortly after 3 o'clock by Mr. Ernest Long, who has been fireman on her during the season. She just returned from Collin's Inlet with a party of hunters the evening previous and Mr.Long was in charge. As soon as he found a fire in the hold he hurried out to give the alarm, but there was some difficulty in getting the fire bell to operate, and it was quite some time before there was a response from the fire brigade and in the meantime, the flames were making fast headway in the interior of the boat. Finally after the firemen got some water pouring into her, the blaze was extinguished, and later in the morning she was towed over to another dock, where she will be out of the way.
Mr. Tacksberry was notified at his home in Lion's head, and arrived in Wiarton during Saturday afternoon.----part
Owen Sound Daily Times
November 18, 1933
. . . . .
POPULAR STEAMER BURNED AT WIARTON
The above picture is that of the former steamer HENRY PEDWELL, latterly know as the steamer EASTNOR, which was burned at her dock at Wiarton on Saturday morning last. She was owned by Mr.John Tackaberry, of Lion's Head. This boat was built at Lion's Head in 1909 by Messrs Pedwell and Lembke, the hull being entirely new, but the machinery of the tug GLADSTONE, which was burned at Lion's Head, was placed in her, and was named the HENRY PEDWELL and used as a tug. She was burned at Wiarton in 1815. The hull was bought by Mr.John Tackaberry and rebuilt from the keel up, of white oak, and put into commission in the fall of 1916 under the same name. She was later sold to the Dominion Transportation Co., and during the latter's ownership the ship sank in Owen Sound harbor.
Mr. Tackaberry again came into possession of her, and she was widened at Midland, the machinery taken out of the steamer ALICE being installed in her. her name was changed to that of the KAGAWONG, and she was operated by the Georgian Bay and Manitoulin Transportation Co., composed of Southampton business men, from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island. Later she again became the property of Mr. Tackaberry, and her name changed to that of EASTNOR. More extensive cabins were placed on her and during the past summer she operated between Fort William and Silver Island.
Owen Sound Daily Times
November 22, 1933