Sunday afternoon the schooner EAGLE WING left this port loaded with staves for H.C. French, of Buffalo. late the same evening she passed the Lime Kilns Crossing and entered the lake. Shortly after hauling up for Colchester light the vessel was jarred from stem to stern by striking some hidden obstacle, which she slowly passed over. It was soon discovered that the vessel had sustained serious damage, as she began taking water. Capt. Hutton determined however, to keep on his course, thinking that he could keep her free by means of the pump. On arriving about 5 miles out it was discovered that the water was gaining on them fast, and it was resolved to put back. The vessel was headed for the rive
and when off Bar Pt., a trifle eastward of the regular channel and the can buoys, she sank in about 15 ft. of water. The master and the crew sought the shore and the word was immediately telegraphed to the owners at this port. The engaged the Canadian wrecking tug PRINCE ALFRED, which together with a steam pump, line and lighter, left yesterday afternoon, and are to receive $200 per day for their services in rescuing her. Whether the EAGLE WING was sailing too close and her bilge struck bottom, or whether she was in deep water and her centerboard struck some projecting rock, is not as yet known. The water, as she now lies, comes up to her rail amidships. Her deck load, which it is proposed
to lighten, was at last accounts intact. When released she will be brought tothis port for repairs.
The EAGLE WING is owned by Parker Brothers, of this port, was built in 1856 rates B 1, and was valued at about $6,000
Detroit Free Press
March 14, 1862