The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
St. Andrew (Schooner), U22416, sunk by collision, 26 Jun 1878

Full Text

A special dispatch to the Detroit Free Press from Port Huron, June 26, says: The schr. ST. ANDREW, bound down, with corn from Chicago, and the schr. PESHTIGO, bound up, with coal, collided last night in the straits about 5 miles from Cheboygan. Both vessels went to the bottom. The crew of the ST. ANDREW reached Cheboygan in a small boat today. The ST. ANDREW was owned by Henry McMorran and Capt. E. Fitzgerald, Sr., both of this city. She was insured for $9,000, $5,000 in the Detroit Fire and Marine on McMorran's interest, $4,000 in a Buffalo company on Fitzgerald's interest. No particulars concerning the PESHTIGO's crew were obtained. They are probably safe, however. The PESHTIGO passed this port, bound up, Saturday. She was owned by A. English, of Chicago.
      Detroit Free Press
      June 27, 1878

      . . . . .

      The schooner PESHTIGO and the schooner St. ANDREW collided at 1 o'clock Tuesday morning between Skillagalee light and the Beavers and both sunk. The cause of the disaster was smoky weather. Both sunk in 5 minutes. Both crews were rescued, the St. ANDREW's by the Canadian propeller OCEAN. The St. ANDREW was built at Milan, Ohio, in 1857. She was owned by Capt. E. Fitzgerald, Sr., and Henry McMorran of this city. The crew of the PESHTIGO went aboard the schooner S.V.R. WATSON. Two crewmen of the PESHTIGO drowned. The latter's spars were still above water.
      Port Huron Daily Times
      Thursday, June 27, 1878

      . . . . .

      Port Huron, June 27 - The crew of the schr. ST. ANDREW, which was sunk by collision with the schr. PESHTIGO, reached here this afternoon on the prop. OCEAN. The collision occurred Tuesday morning (6/25) at 1:00, about midway between Beaver Island and Skillagallee lights. The account of the accident given by the crew of the ST. ANDREW is as follows: The ST. ANDREW had her starboard tacks on board and was working nicely, with her sheets well aft, when the PESHTIGO was discovered heading towards her, upon which the ST. ANDREW showed her torch. The PESHTIGO when abreast of the ST. ANDREW sheered aport and struck her amidships, and cut her to the water's edge. In a moment both crews were on deck intent on discovering the amount of damage done. It was evident at once that both vessels were sinking, and all possible haste was made to clear the yawls. On board the ST. ANDREW, the boat was lowered and rowed to a safe distance from the sinking wrecks, after taking off every soul. On the PESHTIGO the scene was different. The second mate, name unknown, and John Boyle, a seaman, attempted to save their clothing going below. Upon the mate's arrival on deck the boat was lowered and he was forced to lower himself to the water by the davit fall. The crew of the boat were endeavoring meanwhile to cut the painter, which was fast to the vessel, and remained so until the vessel went under, when the rope being old broke. Boyle never came from the forecastle, but was carried down with the vessel. The second mate, whom I am informed lived near Buffalo, and left a wife and 4 children, was almost reached by the yawl boat, when he sunk. Both boats were picked up by schr. S.V.R. WATSON, which was disaster. The ST. ANDREW's crew was afterwards transferred to the prop. OCEAN, which brought them to this port. The WATSON proceeded to Chicago with the PESHTIGO survivors. The PESHTIGO's spars are above the surface.
      Detroit Free Press
      June 28, 1878

Port Huron, June 27. -- The crew of the St. ANDREW arrived this afternoon on the propeller OCEAN. The following is a statement by James Hackett, second mate of the St. ANDREW; He said that she was heading northeast, weather cloudy, wind southeast, making about five knots per hour. He could see the PESHTIGO about one mile off. They had shown a torch three minutes before came together. Both vessels sunk in about nine minutes. When they struck the St. ANDREW fell over on the PESHTIGO, taking out her fore and main mast. Two of her men jumped on the PESHTIGO forward, and heard Captain Lynch say to the second mate, "John you done a bad job; why didn't you call me !" The PESHTIGO's crew was ordered to leave the boat. The second mate, name unknown, and John Boyle, who was at the wheel when the accident happened, went after their clothes. Boyle was not seen again. The second mate lowered himself on the davit falls. The PESHTIGO's stern was forty feet in the air and sinking rapidly when her crew got into the boat. None of them had a knife except the captain, who cut the painter when the boat was standing on her ends, luckily saving all from drowning, as a large whirlpool followed the sinking vessel and caused both small boats to come together, in which way they remained until picked up by the schooner S.V.R. WATSON. Two hours later in the morning the St. ANDREW's crew were transferred to the propeller OCEAN, bound down. The PESHTIGO's crew remained on the WATSON and will be taken to Chicago. Both crews lost all their clothing. The vessels sunk in 120 feet of water off Beaver Island.
      Cleveland Herald
      June 28, 1878

Captain Lynch of the schooner PESHTIGO, says the disaster occurred at about 1 0'clock A. M., on Tuesday. The PESHTIGO was heading at the time southwest by south. She was on the port tack. Wind was southeast by south. It was hazy. It was not necessary to sound the fog horn. Saw Skillagalee light four miles off. Should see it eighteen miles in clear weather. The captain was below at the time of the collision, and the first intimation he had of anything wrong was when the crash came. The mate, being lost, there is only the man who was on the lookout to look to for information, and he says that the fault rests with the crew of the St. ANDREW. This, of course, will be very unsatisfactory sort of evidence.
      The mate lost was John Aldrich, who has a family, and belonged in Peoria, Ill. The Captain does not know whether the sailor Boyle had a family or not, but he belonged to Buffalo.
      In regard to the report that Captain Lynch, on coming on deck, said to the mate, "John, you have done a bad job." the captain utterly denies it. The crew of the PESHTIGO saved most of their effects.
      Chicago Inter Ocean
      July 1, 1878

Schooner St. ANDREWS. U. S. No. 22416. Of 322.86 tons. Home port, Erie Pa.
      Merchant Vessel List, U.S., 1871

Schooner St. ANDREWS. U.S. No. 22416. Of 425.75 tons gross. Built at Milan, Ohio, in 1857. Home port, Port Huron, Mich. 143.0 x 30.0 x 12.0
      Merchant Vessel List, U.S., 1885

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: sunk by collision
Lives: nil
Freight: corn
Remarks: Raised
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Michigan, United States
    Latitude: 45.64696 Longitude: -84.47448
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

St. Andrew (Schooner), U22416, sunk by collision, 26 Jun 1878