Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), 1 Apr, 1874
- Full Text
THE IMPROVEMENTS AT THE SAULT DE STE. MARIE CANAL. - The work of the canal improvement has progressed so favorably as to be without incidents. Its history for the winter is simply a record of work done. About 35,000 or 40,000 cubic yards of rock and 22,000 yards of gravel have been excavated, and 38,000 cubic feet of timber placed in the revetment since the close of navigation. The point or shoulder which projected into the canal near the head has been removed; the excavation of the canal bottom at the same locality has been nearly completed.
Between this locality and the basin but very little excavation remains. The sides of the cut have been smoothly trimmed the whole distance.
There remains, under the Barker & Williams contract, a few thousand yards of excavation opposite the basin, on which a force of nearly 200 men are now employed.
The contractors for excavating the lock pit are employing as large a force as can be worked to advantage.
If favorable weather continues there appears no reason why the canal should not be open to navigation at the date usual before the improvements were commenced - May 1st. - (Marquette Mining Journal.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The lock complex was administered by the State of Michigan at this time, hence the private excavation contractors. It did not come under the authority of the Corps of Engineers until 1881.
- Date of Original:
- 1 Apr, 1874
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Dave Swayze
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes