Buffalo Commercial Advertiser (Buffalo, NY), May 2, 1888
- Full Text
James Hollister came to Buffalo in 1826, but in the spring of 1827 went to Sandusky, where for 10 years he conducted a general merchandise business in partnership with his brother, Josiah W. Hollister under the firm name of J. W. Hollister & Co...... In 1837 Mr. Hollister brought his family to Buffalo and here lived the rest of his life. In partnership with the late George Brown, of Boston, (of the firm of J. M. Beebe & Co.) he formed a partnership for conducting a jobbing drygoods business, under the name of Hollister and Brown, with John and William Hollister for special partners. In 1843 he bought Mr. Brown's interest and in 1845 his brothers retired. In 1849 the railroad extension from the East to the western states broke up the Buffalo jobbing trade and after on year with the firm reorganized under the name of Hollister, Titus & Miller, Mr. Hollister sold out, and with his brother Robert and other citizens organized the Hollister Bank. This institution which James Hollister was president was first situated at the corner of Main and Swan Sts., where the U.S. Express Company now does business, and afterwards, until its failure in the Panic of 1857, occupied the lower floor of the Hollister Building, corner of Main and Seneca Sts., now occupied by the Lehigh Valley Railroad Co. From 1857 to 1885 Mr. Hollister was engaged in the commission business on Central Wharf and in the coal trade......
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This is excerpted from Hollister's obituary.
- Date of Original:
- May 2, 1888
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Richard Palmer
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes