Caldera (Propeller), collision, 22 May 1916
- Full Text
W. H. GILBERT was a steel freighter of the old style "Between Decks" design, built by F. W. Wheeler & Company, at West Bay City in 1892 for the Empire Transit Company, one of the fleets controlled by the Wolvin interests of Duluth. Her U.S. Registry number was 81382. Dimensions 328 x 42.5 x 20.5. 2820 gross tons and 2200 net. A very fast freighter, she was powered by a big triple expansion engine or 23", 37" and 62" diameter of cylinders by 44" stroke, built by the Frontier Iron works at Detroit. With several other Wolvin ships, she passed into the Pittsburgh Steamship Company fleet in 1901. For twelve more years she carried ore as a Silver Stacker. In 1913, she was sold to the Lakewood Steamship Company or Cleveland, a Hutchinson subsidiary. She was lost in collision with the freighter CALDERA off Thunder Bay Islands Lake Huron, on May 22, 1916.
August 1961 p. 152
. . . . .
W.H. GILBERT Built June 16, 1892 Bulk Propeller -Steel
U. S. No. 81382 2820 gt -2200 nt 328' x 42.5' x 20.5'
Sunk in collision with stmr. CALDERA, May 22, 1914, 15 miles off Thunder Bay Island, Lake Huron.
Frank Wheeler & Co., West Bay City Shipbuilding Master List
Institute for Great Lakes Research
NOTE:- May 22, 1914 is the correct date.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Reason: collision
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes