The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Wisconsin (Propeller), fire, 21 May 1867

Full Text

      Burining Of The Northern Transportation Co's Steamer, WISCONSIN.
      Philo, Chamberlain, Esq., president of the Northern Transportation Co., in Cleveland, received the following telegram at half past eleven o'clock yesterday forenoon, from the conpanies' agent at Cape Vincent, N. Y.
      Cape Vincent, N. Y., May 22. To: Philo Chamberlain, Cleveland.
      The WISCONSIN was destroyed by fire, six miles above here, last night. About twenty lives were lost, among whom were the first mate, both engineers and the steward. She grounded on Grenidier Island. Signed : Hall and Buckley.
      The WISCONSIN plyed between Toledo and Ogdensburg, touching at Cleveland. She left Cleveland on Wed., May 15, for Ogdensburg and when burnt was enroute for Toledo, for which place she left Ogdensburg Tuesday May 21st. in the afternoon.
      Captain Townsend commanded the lost steamer. He has been connected with the line ever since it started -- eight yars as mate. This is his first season as captain.
      The Cleveland Plain Dealer says the WISCONSIN was valued at $50,000. She was insured for $5,000 in the following companies: Underwriters, N. Y.; National of Boston; Buckeye Mutual, of Cleveland; and Franklyn, of Cincinatti.
      LATER -- By telegraph this morning, we have the following particulars: Cape Vincent, May 22 -- The propeller WISCONSIN left her dock about 11:00 last night when at the head on Grenidere Island, about two miles from shore, was discovered to be on fire. It was the captain's watch, and he ordered the boats to be got ready for the safety of the passengers. The propeller now lies about six rods from the shore and is a total loss. She had about 70 passengers, but it cannot be ascertained how many were lost. Seven bodies have been found. The people of this place are doing everything possible for the comfort of the passengers.
      A complete list of the lost will be found in our afternoon telegraph report.
      Sandusky Register
      Thursday, May 23, 1867

      . . . . .

      What we know, aside from the general summing up of the list of victims, is that, as usual, the means and facilities for escape were in inverse proportion to the chances of safety offered by favorable weather. The nearer to a safe landing place, the less provision against accidents is ordinarily deemed necessary; the fewer hands and these of the less skillful kind; the smaller the number of row boats, and the meaner the appliances necessary.
      New York Times
      May 25, 1867

(Note: The burning of the Wisconsir' made the front page of the New York Times on May 23, 1867, probably because it was coincidental with the loss of two ocean going steamers, the North American Steamship Company's Santiago de Cuba off Atlantic City; and the steamship Planet that foundered in the Gulf of Mexico about 40 miles off the Texas shore.
Steamship disasters always made big headlines in those days, particularly when there was a heavy loss of life. As far as known what remained of the Wisconsin after it burned to the water's edge was salvaged, and picked over by souvenir hunters.)

      . . . . .

      A SAD STORY.
Among the passengers of the steamer WISCONSIN, recently burned near Cape Vincent, was a Mr. Chisholm from Canada, on his way to Missouri, in company and six children. He was a man about fifty-five years old, had bought a farm in the state to which he was traveling, and was moving with his family and goods. When the fire broke out, he was sitting on deck, but his wife and children had retired for the night. He called them up hurriedly and sought to save their lives in a most unfortunate way.
One of the small boats was let down to about a foot of the water, and about twenty passengers leaped into it, and Mr. Chisholm assisted his wife, three daughters and a son to get in. One of the frightened crowd cut with a knife the rope which connected the bow of the small boat with the davit, and the loosened end dropped down like a spoon, and at once filled with water. The passengers were thrown out and nearly all drowned. This happened not more than a minute and a half before the steamer struck the shore on Grenadier Island, and had all remained on board, as the Captain ordered, not a life would have been lost.
      Mrs. Chisholm, the three daughters, aged respectively twenty, seventeen and fifteen, and the boy of eleven years were all drowned. The father and the two older sons, who stuck to the steamer, were saved. Mr. Chisholm had $4000 in greenbacks, his only fortune, which was in his wives satchel, and was destroyed the flames. Thus he was left in a strange land, a widower, bereft of four children, without money or property, with his great grief resting upon his soul, to commence the world anew.
      The bodies of his wife and children were recovered and have been interred in the graveyard at Cape Vincent, and the sad, heart-broken husband and father, with his two remaining sons, will go on to his homeless home in the West. Few life-dramas have sadder chapters than this.
      (From the Ogdensburgh Journal.)
      George Ashworth of Lawrence, Mass., whose name is first on the list of saved from the ill-fated, steamer WISCONSIN, arrived here on the 24th inst., or his way home, having lost everything he had with him. From him we learn the following interesting additional particulars of the terrible calamity which befell the WISCONSIN, on the night of the 21st. The steamer left the Cape at half-past ten by Mr. Ashworth's watch. -- When seven miles above and abreast Grenadier Island, the cry of fire was started.-- Mr. Ashworth had not retired and was one of the first to rush to the point of fire. It broke out on the main deck over the boiler near the smokestack; and spread rapidly, The Captain behaved heroically and gave his orders with the utmost coolness throughout the trying ordeal, He was ably assisted by the second mate who was the last man to leave the burning vessel. The steamer was at once headed for Grenadier Island and the pony or force pump, set to work to check or put out the fire, but all efforts in this direction were unavailing.-- about twenty minutes after the fire broke out, the steamer struck the shore on Grenadier Island.
      One of the boats was lowered for the purpose of landing the passengers, but it had hardly struck the water before it was filled and swamped. (The frantic passengers, and those of the crew who were more intent in making their own escape than saving the lives of others, jumped from the upper deck, some striking in the boat and some in the water. Those in the water caught the sides of the boat and thus, by overloading, swamped her. It was by the
swamping of this boat that all the loss of life occurred, and the total number, he thinks, will reach twenty-five or thirty. But two persons in this mass were saved -- Mr. Chisholm, who lost five of his family, and a Mrs. Gallagher who was picked up a mile from the wreck three hours after she grounded. Mrs. Gallagher had caught hold of a plank, and she was noticed floating away. Search was made twice before she was finally rescued, and when picked up, was nearly exhausted. The gangplank was launched and a rope taken ashore, and down this rope the passengers were passed to the shore; the Captain standing in the water up to his neck, and handing them towards the land, while the Second Mate superintended the
launching. A few feet from the vessel the water was shallow enough to permit a six-footer to keep his head above water. There were several small children on board, all of whom were saved. One child, eight months old, was taken by one of the crew from the arms of its mother. The gallant fellow jumped overboard, and bore his little charge safe to land.)
Those of the passengers who had retired, did not have time to even dress themselves, and saved only their night clothes, had the fire occurred a mile above or below where it did, it is Mr. Ashworth's opinion that few would have been saved.
The people residing on Grenadier Island did their utmost to relieve the necessities and administer to the wants of the passengers. Up to Wednesday afternoon, at 6 o'clock, fourteen bodies had been recovered, and the crew were still prosecuting the search.
      It is proper to state that there are two islands in the upper St. Lawrence named Grenadier -- one about 28 miles above this place and the other above Cape Vincent.
      Not one of the passengers or crew saved any article of any kind beyond what they had on their backs when the cry of fire was raised.
      The rescued passengers and crew were brought to Cape Vincent by the steamer WATERTOWN, and the ladies and citizens of that place were unremitting in their efforts to supply the wants of the sufferers with food and clothing.
Inquisition taken at Cape Vincent, County of Jefferson, N. Y. on the 23d day of May, 1867, before Robert G. Angel, one of the Coroners of said county, upon the bodies of Artimus White, Henry Chisholm, Catharine Chisholm, Thomas Chisholm, Elizabeth Chisholm , Catharine Chisholm 2d, Mary Ann Chisholm, Nancy Creed, Catharine Creed, Henry McAlpinee, John Goodwin, George Lindseay, James Casey, and B. J. Cook, then and there lying dead, upon the oaths of ten good and lawful men of the said county who being duly summoned and sworn to inquire into all the circumstances attending the death of the said persons, and by whom, produced and in what manner and when and where the said persons came to their death, do say upon their oaths aforesaid, that the persons aforesaid came to their death by drowning in lake Ontario, near Grenadier island, on the night of the 21st May, 1867, by jumping from and leaving the propeller WISCONSIN, while on fire, which originated in the hold of said vessel near the boiler; that if the orders and directions of Captain Townsend, the commander of said propeller, had been obeyed, it is the opinion of the jurors aforesaid that all the lives of the passengers and crew would have been saved.
      Robt. H. Angel, Coroner.
George Bartlett, Foreman; John Johnston; A. F. Smith; F. A. Cross; J. B. Grappott; T. M. Brewster; J. B. Ainsworth; G. W. Warren; M. D. Fuller; W. M. Wheelock, Jurors.
      Water Town (New York) Daily Reformer
      May 25, 1867

      . . . . .
      We have just returned from a visit to the wreck of the Wisconsin. As we passed over the waters where that unfortunate vessel, in that dark and gloomy night, was discovered to be on fire, and where twenty or more human beings rushed madly to a watery grave, we could have no patience with the folly, that worse than folly -- that criminal fright and lack of self control in danger, which sent these unfortunate men and women to their awful end.
Those who have not witnessed the wild, uncontrollable conduct of panic stricken men can have no idea of their utter recklessness. They will not reason -- they will not listen to reason, and can only be controlled by brute force. It is useless to tell them that their safety depends upon their coolness, that their danger is fancied. In the case of the Wisconsin there was no danger, and every life lost on that melancholy occasion, was owing to the blind fright of men who would not stop to see whether the danger was real or fancied, and would not be controlled by men cool enough to comprehend the extent of the danger, and take such means as were necessary to avert it.
As the Wisconsin left the St. Lawrence and rounded out into Lake Ontario, word was brought to Capt. Townsend that the vessel was on fire around the boiler. The vessel was running at the rate of about nine miles an hour. He seems not to have hesitated for a moment. Being within a mile and a half of Grenadier Island, he at once headed the vessel for the shore, giving instant order to the engineers to throw open the throttle and give the engine the full power of steam. This increased her speed to at least ten miles per hour. His plan was that if the fire could not be gotten under control, the vessel would soon reach the shore and the passengers all landed. If it should be subdued, the course could be resumed. In the meantime, the force pumps with two hundred feet of hose, all in good working condition, were got into operation, but it was soon discovered that the fire could not be subdued.
The passengers were then awakened and told to keep perfectly cool, that there was no danger, everyone would be landed with safety. The scene which followed is said to be indescribable. The Captain had ordered the boats, which were stowed upon the hurricane deck, to be lowered near the water, not into it, there to remain until it should be necessary to fill them.
Until he should give the word, he ordered that no one should enter the boats. Had this order been obeyed, all would have been well. Instead of which, in the wildest fury, the boats were filled, women, children and strong men, perfectly wild to take refuge in them. The small boat was thus instantly taken possession of, and a shout sent up for an ax to cut the 'fall,' but as no ax was forthcoming, the same mad office was performed by a jack knife, the bow fall line being cut, which dropped the bow of the boat at once into the water.
The steamer being at full speed, and the stern fall still being fast, the boat was plunged head foremost into the water, and every one of the mad occupants was swept away into the bosom of the lake and left there to perish. It was the universal testimony of all on board, that those who were lost, were lost by crowding into the boats, against the express commands of Captain Townsend.
In fifteen to twenty minutes from the time the alarm was given, the Wisconsin was beached upon Grenadier Island, the bow resting in about four feet of water. A line was instantly taken ashore, and the surviving passengers and crew who had been gathered into the bow of the vessel where the fire had not reached, were lifted over the side into the water, and got safely ashore.
Captain Watson Searls of Detroit, a passenger on board, who was the last to leave the burning vessel, testified before the coroner's jury, that there was ample time to have lifted over and saved at least from twenty to thirty more passengers, after the last one was safe on shore, before the fire drove him from the wreck, thus showing beyond a doubt that had all the passengers exercised a little reason not a life would have been lost.
We were kindly permitted to examine a copy of the testimony before the coroner's jury, and among a dozen or more witnesses made up of the survivors, there was no discrepancy on this point. They all agree that the lost were lost by entering the boats against the express orders and expostulation of Captain Townsend, and that had they remained aboard, there is no reason why every passenger might not have been saved.
Captain Townsend, throughout, seems to have acted with the greatest presence of mind, coolness and efficiency. It has been said that he should have enforced his orders against the passengers who attempted to enter the boats, by shooting or knocking them down, or otherwise. He would have been justified in doing so. But it must be remembered that the night was very dark.
There were three boats lowered on different sides at different points of the steamer, and he could not be omnipresent. Besides, he had the course of the steamer to look to, the force pumps to keep in operation, and the various other trying matters upon his hands incident to such an occasion. The wonder is that he accomplished so much. His first mate disappeared with the first boat. He either entered the boat voluntarily or was forced into it by the crowd. He was seen by no person on board after the catastrophe, [he] must have gone down with the rest. The death of his first officer was of course a severe loss to the Captain.
The two engineers of the steamer also disappeared at the same time and probably in the same manner. The second mate, Mr. James W. Shaver, quite a young man, proved himself well worthy of his position. He was self possessed and efficient throughout, rendering the Captain the most important aid in saving the lives of passengers. We are happy to learn that he has already been appointed second mate on another of the company's steamers. The same characteristics were also true for Mr. C.H. Dodge, the steward. The passengers speak in the highest terms of his self possession, and the aid he rendered them.
Capt. Searls, on his way to Detroit to take command of his vessel, was a passenger on board, and was very efficient in assisting to keep order, and in saving the lives of passengers. Among the surviving passengers, the testimony is unanimous in relation to the coolness and efficiency of Capt. Searls, as well as to the other gentlemen referred to.
      Grenadier Island is a small island near where the Lake contracts into the St. Lawrence River, and is composed of about one thousand acres of land. (In American waters just south of Tibbett's Point). But few farm houses are upon it, and the nearest to the point where the burning steamer landed was distant about one half mile. The men, women, and children had been hurried from their berths and most of them had been too much frightened to think of dressing. The result was they went into the water with but little else than their night clothing, and arrived at this small farm house in nearly perishing condition.
It was occupied by Mr. John Nugent, who, with his wife, deserve special mention for their good Samaritan conduct. No means were found to take away the passengers until nearly noon of the next day, and a portion, owing to exhaustion and sickness which followed, remained until Saturday.
From the beginning the Nugents were unremitting in their exertions for the comfort of the strangers. They exhausted their stores in feeding them, and gave them nearly every article of clothing the house contained, stripping themselves of dresses, drawers, shoes, stockings, etc., and all without expectation of compensation or reward, as all so furnished were necessarily worn away. That lonely family, away there in their island home, must ever be remembered with gratitude by the surviving passengers of the Wisconsin, for whom they did so much.
The survivors were taken by the steamer Watertown to the villa"' of Cape Vincent, a distance of about seven miles, where all their wants were cared for in the most hospitable manner. They were taken in charge of by G.T. Bartlett, Esq., Supervisor of the Town, whose exer tions for their comfort were unremitting. Nothing was left undone by, the people of Cape Vincent for the comfort of those thrown upon their, hands.
Valuable dresses and clothing were bestowed upon them in pro fusion, all the people vying with each other in their kind attentions Too much cannot be said in their praise. The drowned, so far as the' remains have been recovered, have been in the charge of Supervisor Bartlett. When ordered, the remains have been forwarded to friends and in the absence of orders have been decently interred with proper!, marked graves, and a record duly preserved so that they may be iden tiffed hereafter. An inquest was held upon the bodies recovered or Friday, by Robert H. Angell, Esq., of Clayton, Coroner of Jefferson County. After the necessary investigations the following was the unanimous verdict of the jury:
That the aforesaid persons came to their deaths by drowning in Lake Ontario, near Grenadier Island on the night of 21st May, 1867, by jumping from and leaving the propeller Wisconsin while on fire, which fire originated in the hold of said vessel near the boiler. That if the orders and directions of Captain Townsend the commander of said propeller had been obeyed, it is the opinion of the jurors aforesaid, that all the lives of said passengers and crew would have been saved.
George Ashworth, Lawrence, Mass.
Ezra Cooke, Westmeath C.W.
Alvin Joiner, Forrestville, Mich.
Jas. R. Dean, Lawrence. C.W.
Joiner, Roxalville, Vt.
Robert Chisholm, Chateauguay Co. C.E.
Wm. Chisholm, do
Jno. Chisholm, do
John Criseaden, Centerville, N.Y.
Ira Creed, Potedam, N.Y.
D.C. Forrest, Carthage, N.Y.
M. Carroll, Kingston, C.W.
Samuel Beattie, Kingston, C.W.
Jno. Delaborough, Smithfield, C.W.
P. H. Perry, Rousville C.E.
D. Fisher, do do
Mrs. Spaulix and two children, Alexandria
S.G. Hellier, Odessa, C.W.
Samuel Fullerton, North Gore.
Lucinda Fetterlee, Finch, C.W.
Wilson Searles, Detroit.
Edward Cassay, Colton, St. Lawrence Co.
Mrs. Dunn and girl, Brockville.
Mrs. Talman and son, Oswego.
Thomas Frasier, Prescott.
L. Cutnier, Wife, and six children, Prescott.
William Cousain, Granville, C.E.
Jno. McNeil, do do
Rev. J. M. Armour, wife and four children Graftburgh, Vt.
Alvin Richards, Manchester, N.H.
W. J. Read, do do
Mrs. . Mary Richards, do do
Mrs. Alvin Reed, do do
Mrs. C.W. Cough, do do
Mr. Geo. Richards, do do
C.W. Reed, do do
Emma Richards, do do
Mrs. Galligher, Pembroke, C.E.
Mrs. Dings, Oswego
R.H. Hillier, Odessa, Canada.
Capt. Townsend.
Jas. W. Shaver, Second Mate.
Charles W. Shaver, Wheelsman
J.D. Shaver do
C.H. Dodge Steward.
Warren Tracy, Cabin Boy.
Edward Masterton, Porter.
Joseph Strong, Fireman,
Pat Johnston, do
Robert Holmes, Deck Hand
Jos. Raycraft, do
Pat Ferry, do
David Conlin, do
Thomas Enwright, Second Cook.
Mary Miceklehanny, Cabin Maid.
Jane Mayette, Cook.
Jno. Powers, First Mate, Ogdensburg, not found.
A.F. Morrison, First Engineer, Clayton, not found.
Edw. McCormick, Watchman, Clayton, not found.
David Horan, Deck Hand, Prescott, not found.
Henry Chatman, Deck Hand, Ogdensburg, buried at Cape Vincent.
Mrs. C. Chisholm, Eliza, Mary Ann, Catherine, and Master Thos. Chisholm buried at Cape Vincent by directions of Mr. Chisholm.
Mrs. Nancy Creed, Miss Catherine Creed, Potsdam buried at Cape Vincent by order of Mr. Creed.
Frederick Creed, Potsdam not found.
Mr. Galligher, Pembrooke, C.E., buried at Cape Vincent by wife.
Henry McAlpine, Edwardaburgh, C.W., sent to Ogdeneburg.
James Cassey, Colton, St. Lawrence Co., taken to Colton.
Geo. Lindsley, Colton, St. Lawrence Co., taken to Colton.
A. White, Keesville, sent by express.
Ira Cook, Ticketed Aurora, Ill., buried at Cape Vincent.
      The Wisconsin was furnished with two large wooden boats, and one metallic life boat, sufficient in all to have saved every passenger, had they been needed. It was furnished with a large number of life preservers, greater than the number of passengers on board, which were distributed through the various staterooms, which would have saved every passenger who rushed into the boats, had they had the presence of mind to use them.
Upon the hurricane deck were stored a large number of 'life' floats, sufficient to float a hundred or more persons, had they been necessary. The pumps, and all other apparatus prescribed by law, were in good working order. How the fire originated will never be known.
It was one of those mysterious providences which will sometimes occur, notwithstanding the exercise of the greatest degree of human caution.
      No men could be more unremitting in attention to the unfortunate than have been the agents and representatives of the line. Capt. Townsend has remained on the spot, all that was in the power of man to do.
Capt. Keating, the efficient superintendent of the line, was at once dispatched to the scene of the disaster, and has taken a general direction of affairs, omitting nothing which could conduce to the comfort or convenience of the sufferers. Messrs. Hall & Buckley, the Agents at Cape Vincent, have been unremitting in their exertions. To all of these gentlemen, to Mr. Supervisor Bartlett, M.E. Lee, Esq. and various other gentlemen, we desire to tender our acknowledgements for the attentions shown us on our hasty visit to Cape Vincent.
We were informed by an intelligent lady, a passenger, that the steerage passengers of the Wisconsin were mostly Irish and that the scene presented after the alarm was given, was beyond description. Men and women alike were frantic with fright and utterly uncontrollable. At one time they would be upon their knees, crossing themselves, wailing and lamenting, at another, tieing their children with ropes and wildly letting them over the sides of the steamer into the water. This scene of confusion continued long after the vessel was upon the beach and all danger had passed.
      A Heroine Boy and a Brave Woman
Among the passengers was Mr. Alvin Richards of Goffstown, New Hampshire, and family, consisting of his wife, Mary E. Richards, a son aged six years, and an infant daughter aged ten weeks. They were accompanied by Mr. Richards' mother an aged lady, sister, husband and child.
Mrs. Richards refused to leave the boat until she had seen all her friends safely off. Her husband went ashore with the little boy and they succeeded in getting safely to land, leaving the mother and babe upon the burning craft. In the darkness and confusion, the husband lost sight of her. She was approached by the cabin boy, Warren Tracy, of Ogdensburg, who throughout had been perfectly cool, and who begged the privilege of jumping overboard with the infant, assuring her that he would swim ashore with it in safety.
Something in his manner inspired her with confidence, and she consigned it to his keeping. The young man instantly leaped overboard with his precious burthen and struck out for the shore. But before he got clear of the vessel someone from the wreck leaped into the water striking him upon the head stunning and confusing him temporarily, but not once did the brave fellow think of surrendering his charge. Rising to the surface he struck out into the lake, taking a circuitous route to avoid the frantic passengers in the water surrounding the wreck, he brought the infant safely to the land and restored it to the friends of the mother, who recognized it by its night wrapper.
Its mother at this time was supposed to be among the lost. Having committed her child to the care of young Tracy, Mrs. Richards let herself into the water and was taken to the shore, the last to leave the ill fated Wisconsin, except one. Her feelings, upon finding her babe, saved and living, upon the shore, can better be imagined than described. Young Tracy is much petted and praised for his heroic conduct, but he takes the matter very modestly.
      A Sad Case
Mr. Robert Chisholm, of Canada, lost five members of his family. When the boat was ordered lowered by the Captain, in defiance of his order, Mr. Chisholm crowded his whole family but one into the first, and failed to get in himself. All that were thus crowded into the boat found a watery grave.
It was learned that after the alarm was given, the captain, who was on watch, gathered the passengers forward. He endeavored to keep them there, but they broke away and forced the launching of the lifeboat while the steamer was yet in motion. When the Wisconsin grounded on Grenadier Island the hurricane deck was clear, the fire confined below. She struck with her bow in four feet of water, the stern in about nine feet.
Some of those who jumped overboard were mangled by the propeller. Following the catastrophe, the 14 bodies immediately found were brought to Cape Vincent aboard the steamboat Watertown (some say the Pierrepont). Others later washed ashore and were brought to Cape Vincent. A temporary morgue was set up in the freighthouse of the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad and the inquest was held in the hotel portion of the passenger depot.
Charles W. Nims of Chaumont had a vivid memory of the event. He said steamboats such as the Wisconsin burned four foot cordwood in those days instead of coal, which made the vessels more susceptible to fire. "It was the report at the time that there was a fire in the hold, in a mild form, when the boat docked at the Cape that evening, but of such mild nature that the captain and crew as well, thought it could be subdued without much effort, and cast off, shortly after 10 p.m. She had not gone but a few miles up the lake when they found the fire beyond control and a place for landing was the next question for consideration.
Other accounts state the fire wasn't discovered until the boat had passed Tibbett's Point Lighthouse, and the crew's efforts to extinguish it were futile. During the day, Mr. Nugent had been burning some old tree stumps on Grenadier Island. They were still burning brightly that night and acted as a beacon for Captain Townsend. The Wisconsin was built in Ohio City (now Cleveland) at the shipyard of Stephens & Presley. She was launched on March 27, 1852. Her dimensions were 137'6" x 24'10" x 11' and registered at 352 tons. It was a typical twodecked passenger steamer running between Chicago and Ogdensburg.
      Osweggo Advertiser & Times
      May 27, 1867

(Note: As a postscript, the body of the engineer, Andrew F. Morrison, was recovered six weeks later. The Northern Transportation Company bore the expenses of those who lost their lives as well as the survivors.)

      . . . . .
      The burned steamer WISCONSIN was built at Cleveland in 1852, repaired in 1864 and 1865 and rated B 2. She was of 352 tons, and was valued at $20,000, and was insured for $15,000. This is the third serious loss of the Northern Transportation Co., since it was organized in 1853 or 1854 mainly by Philo Chamberlain of Cleveland.
      Chicago Republican
      May 30, 1867

      . . . . .

The Wreck of the Propeller Wisconsin has been raised and taken to Ogdensburg. She was towed down by the Watertown.
      Watertown (N.Y.) Reformer
      June 20, 1867

      . . . . .

PROP. WISCONSIN. -- The Kingston Whig says the efforts to raise the hull of the N. T. Co's steamer WISCONSIN -- which vessel was recently burned near Grenadier Island -- were successful on Monday last, and the wreck of the steamer was towed to Ogdensburgh, to be put into dry dock. The same paper says "It is not the intention to rebuild the WISCONSIN, but mearly to recover the machinery and anything else of value attached to the wreck. Among those bodies recently recovered was that of the first mate, John Powers, the others being those of the unfortunate passengers."
      Toledo Blade
      June 26, 1867

Steam screw WISCONSIN. Of 352 tons. Built Ohio Coty, Ohio, 1852. First home port, Cleveland, Ohio. DISPOSITION -- Lost 1867.
      Merchant Steam Vessels of the U. S. A.
      Lytle - Holdcamper List, 1790 to 1868

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: fire
Lives: 23
Remarks: Total loss
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Wisconsin (Propeller), fire, 21 May 1867