St. Catharines Journal (St. Catharines, ON), September 21, 1837
- Full Text
St. Lawrence Canal - The construction of the ship canal around the rapids at Cornwall, will speedily be completed. This stupendous work has been in operation ever since 1834. For gradeur of conception, and elegance of execution, we are assured that it is not surpassed by any similar work upon this continent. At present there are three thousand men employed in the construction of this canal within twelve miles of Cornwall. In this distance there are no less than five locks, measuring 250 feet by 100, made of the most durable black marble. In writing upon this subject, the Cornwall Observer states:
"When we viewed their gigantick size and connected with them the proportionate magnitude of the canal, we were astonished at that spirit of enterprise which could bound beyond the limits of our present infancy, and anticipate the period when the extent of our commerce and agriculture will amply justify the present expenditure. It is to be hoped that the sister province, aroused form her lethargy, and animated by the example which we have set her, will vie with us in that spirit which has dictated the improvement; and that we ere long an uninterrupted communication may be had from the shores of Lake Huron to the bosom of the Atlantick.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- September 21, 1837
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Peter Warwick
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes