The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Guelph (Schooner), aground, 2 Oct 1880

Full Text

The WAVE CREST scuttled-The GUELPH adrift with frozen sails- the rescue of the crew
Special despatch to the Palladium. Toronto Nov. 22, --Saturday about noon nine large schooners were in sight off this harbor, all working up the lake. The wind was southwest on the south shore, blowing hard and a heavy sea, and was west of the north shore. About 4 o'clock the schooner, WAVE CREST, Capt. Taylor had her jibs blown away, and the captain knowing there was no harbor that he could run into drawing ten feet, decided he would put into Frenchman's Bay, rather than run his chances of going to the foot of the lake. He succeeded in getting to the piers withing about a length of his schooner. As the sea was running high and he was pounding badly, he scuttled her. She is now lying easy, and if the weather moderates she will be lightened. She has three hundred tons of coal consigned to P. Burns of Toronto. Capt. Sylvester, the owner, is here and says he considered the WAVE CREST was lucky to get where she is. The schooner GUELPH, class A 2 nineteen thousand bushels capacity, was more unfortunate than the WAVE CREST. She succeeded in working up as far as Toronto Island, and Capt. Uglow says he was in good hopes of getting into Toronto about dark, when the gale increased and his whole head gear was carried away. Nothing remained for him to do but to put about and run back, as all his sails were frozen. He let go his anchor off Port Union, where he lay very nicely for a time, and till the chain parted. Not being able to put sail on, the schooner drifted to Frenchman's Bay. The captain tried hard to make the piers, but could not. The schooner fetched up about a half mile from the east pier. The crew remained on board all night. At daylight Capt. McCourt of the schooner JOHN WESLEY, Capt. O' Brien of the scow BROTHERS, Capt. A. Hiltz of the Schooner BELLE and George Moore got the boat off the WAVE CREST and made two trips to the GUELPH. The sea was very high. Capt Uglow was the last to leave his ship. About four miles west there is another large schooner at anchor, supposed- to be the QUEEN OF THE LAKES, and there
is still another further West. What these sailors are suffering and have been suffering during the last forty hours. No one can tell .
      Oswego Palladum
      Tuesday, November 23, 1880
      . . . . .
Toronto, Nov. 27 - The schr. GUELPH, which was released from the beach at Frenchman's Bay, presents a sad picture. The bowsprit and all the forward gear are gone leaving the bows of the vessel completely shattered. The fore-yard is broken and one-half of it is hanging, like a disabled arm from the cross-trees. The vessel is sheathed in ice, the cabin being covered with ice. It is reported that Capt. Uglow is still in so precarious a condition that he cannot be removed to Toronto. Much sympathy is felt for him in his misfortune.
      Buffalo Commercial Advertiser
      November 29, 1880 1-9

Schooner GUELPH; grounded at Burlington Bay - Got off - Oct. 2.
      Casualty List for 1880
      Toronto Globe
      November 30, 1880

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: aground
Remarks: Got off
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Guelph (Schooner), aground, 2 Oct 1880